||Dr. Vitalijs ZELCHS
Professor of Geomorphology and Quaternary Geology,
Chairman of Geomorphology and Geomatics
Department of Geography
Faculty of Geographical and
University of Latvia
19 Rainis Blvd.
Riga, LV 1586
10 Alberta iela
Phone: + 371 67 332 566
Fax: + 371 67 332 704
Born: July 3, 1952, Briezhciems
municipality, Balvi district, Latvia
- main field: Glacial
- other fields: Quaternary
- current: Development
of proglacial and subglacial palaeoenvironments, depositional and landforming processes
during Weichselian glaciation
Languages: Latvian, English, Russian
- Latvian State University of (Faculty of Geography), geographer,
geography teacher graduate with honors, 1970-1975
- M.Lomonosow Moscow State University (Faculty of Advanced Studies),
Physical Geography, 1980
- MSc Geogr., University of Latvia, 1993
- Dr.geol., University of Latvia (Faculty of Geography), 1993
- Professor of Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology, since 2002 -
- Chairman of the Geomorphology and Geomatics, Department of
Geography, University of Latvia, since 1999
- Associate Professor of Glacial Geology, 1999-2001
- Head of the Board of the Faculty of Geographical and Earth Sciences,
- Dean of the Faculty of Geographyl and Earth Sciences, University of
- Visiting Professor and Researcher at the Geology Department of Western
Michigan University, Kalamazoo, USA, 1994
- Docent, Faculty of Geography (since 1995 - Faculty of Geographyl and
Earth Sciences), University of Latvia, 1993-1998
- Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Geography, University of Latvia, 1978-1992
- Assistant Lecturer, Faculty of Geography, University of Latvia, 1975-1977
- Geologist, all-Union Institute of Marine Geology and Geophysics, Riga,
Honors, Awards, Fellowships
- Corresponding Member of Latvian Academy of Sciences, since 2000 -
- Stipendium im Rahmen des Soderprogramms Osteuropa, Switzerland, 1994-1995
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Corresponding Member of the international Association for Quaternary Research
(henceforth - INQUA) Commission on Terrestrial Processes, Deposits, and History (TERPRO
Commission), since 2007 -
- President of the Peribaltic Working Group, TERPRO Commission , 2003-2007
- Vice-President, Commission on Glaciation of INQUA, 1999-2003
- Member of Eitorial Board of Estonian Journal of Earth Sciences, since 1997 -
- Member of the Scientific Committee of "Baltica", since 2004 -
Member of the Editorial Board of Akademiska Dzive, since 2008 -
- Head of the Doctoral Board in Geology, University of Latvia, since 2006 -
- Editor-in-chief of Series in Earth and Environmental Sciences of Acta Universitatis
Latviensis, since 2002-
- Head of the Academic Committee of Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Medicine at the
University of Latvia, 2001-2007
- Vice-Chairman of the Senate of the University of Latvia , 2002 - 2010
- Chairman, Latvian National INQUA (LatQUA) Committee, since 1998 -
- Expert in Geology, Expert in Earth Sciences,
Agricultural, Environmental, Earth and Forestry science Commission at the Latvian Council
of Science, since 1997
- Member, Tutorial Board of Academic and Doctoral Study Programs in
Geography, since 1994 -
- Member, Tutorial Board of Academic and Doctoral Study Programs in
Geology, since 2000 -
- Full Member of the Geography Society of Latvia,
since 1975 -
Number of communications to international scientific congresses, meetings and
symposiums - 82
Number of communications to national scientific meetings - 82
University of Latvia -
- Geomorphology, BSGeog, BSGeol, BSEnv study programs, since 1990 -
- Environmental Geomorphology, MSGeog, BSEnv study programs, since 2000 -
- Geology and Geomophology of Latvia, BSGeog, BSGeol study programs, since 2003 -
- Glacial Geology, MSGeog, MSGeol study programs, since 2003 -
- Quaternary Geology, BSGeol study program, since 2007 -
- Regional Geology of Latvia, since 2007 -
Total number of
Publications - 443:
Number of Scientific Publications -
Number of Educational Publications - 19
Rinterknecht V. R., Clark P. U., Raisbeck G. M., Yiou F., Bitinas A., Brook E.
J., Marks L., Zelcs V., Lunkka J.-P., Pavlovskaya I. E., Piotrowski J. A. and Raukas A.,
2006. The Last Deglaciation of the Southeastern Sector of the Scandinavian Ice Sheet.
Science, 311, 10 March 2006, 1449-1452.
- Zelcs V., Markots A., Nartis M., Saks T. 2011. Chapter 18: Pleistocene Glaciations
in Latvia. In: Ehlers J., Gibbard P.L., Hughes,P.D. (eds.) Quaternary glaciations - extent
and chronology. A closer look. Developments in Quaternary Sciences, 15, Elsvier, p. 221 -
229 (1126 pp.).
T., Kalvans, A., Zelcs, V., 2012. OSL dating of Middle Weichselian age shallow basin
sediments in Western Latvia, Eastern Baltic. Quaternary Science Reviews, 44, 60-68, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.quascirev.2010.11.004.
T., Kalvans, A., Zelcs, V., 2012. Subglacial bed deformation and dynamics of the Apriki
glacial tongue, W Latvia. Boreas, 41, 124140, doi:
10.1111%2Fj.1502-3885.2011.00222.x, ISSN: 0300-9483, eISSN: 1502-3885.
- Raukas A., Stankowski W.T.J., Zelcs V., Sinkunas P., 2010. Chronology of the last
deglaciation in the Southeastern Baltic Region on the basis of recent OSL dates. -
Geochronometria, 36, 47-54, doi 10.2478/v10003-010-0011-7.
- Saks T., Kalvans A., Zelcs V., 2007. Structure and micromorphology of glacial and
non-glacial deposits in coastal bluffs at Sensala, Western Latvia. Baltica, 20(1-2),
- Zelchs V., Markots A., 2004. Deglaciation history of Latvia. In: Ehlers J.,
Gibbard P. L. (eds.). Extent and Chronology of Glaciations, v.1 (Europe).
- V.Zelchs, A.Markots, 1999. The use of geological information for spatial planning.
Zalktis, Riga, 126 pp. (in Latvian).
- V.Zelchs, A.Dreimanis, 1997. Morphology, internal structure and genesis of the Burtnieks
drumlin field, Northern Vidzeme, Latvia. J. Sedimentary Geology, 111, pp.
- A.Dreimanis, V.Zelchs, 1995. Pleistocene stratigraphy of Latvia. In: Glacial
Deposits in North-East Europe (J.Ehlers, S.Kozarski, Ph. Gibbard - eds.), 1995,
Rotterdam/Brookfeld:A.A.Balkema, pp. 105-113.
- Impact ofgeographical and geologicalfactors and processes on nature and general publice
in Latvia: Principal investigator, Project No. 09.1420 funded by Latvian Council of
- Bedforms Modification by Glacial Meltwater at the Margin of Polythermal Glacier,
Southeastern Sector of the Fenoscandnavian Ice Sheet, Latvia Leader, Project No.09.1420
funded by Latvian Council of Science, 2009.
- Developing an Improved Event Chronology of the Late Weichselian Deglaciation of the
Inner Zone of the Southern Margin of the Scandinavian Ice Sheet: Leader, Project No.
2007/ZP-87, funded by University of Latvia, 2007-2009.
- Glacial geology at the Baltic Sea bluffs between Sensala and Pavilosta, and the vicinity
of Ziemupe, western Kurzeme, Latvia. Leader, Project No. 2006/1-229717, funded by
University of Latvia, 2006
- Development of Proglacial and Subglacial Palaeoenvironments, Depositional and
Landforming Processes During Weichselian Glaciation in Latvia. Leader,
Project No. 05.1498, funded by Latvian Council of Science , 2005-2008
- International field symposium on Quaternary Geology and Modern Terrestrial Processes in
western Latvia, September 12-17, 2004. Leader, INQUA TEPRO Commission project No. 0417,
- Developing an improved chronology of the southern margin of the Scandianvian ice sheet.
Co-Principal Investigator, Collaborative Research Project funded by US-National
Science Foundation, 2000-2003
- Correlation of the Weichselian Glacial Events in the Peribaltic Region: Subglacial
Processes, Sediments and Landforms with Special Reference to Ice Movement Dynamics and
Directions. National Coordinator, INQUA Peribaltic Working Group Project, 1999-2003
- Central European Glaciotectonic Mapping Project (CEGMP). National Coordinator, INQUA
Geospatial Analysis of Glacial Environment (GAGE) Working Group Project, 1995-2003
- Ice Flow Directions during Late Weichselian Glaciation of Latvia. Leader, Project No.
04.0417, funded by Latvian Council of Science, 2004
- Glacial Dynamics during the Last Glaciation. Leader, Project No. 01.0300, funded by
Latvian Council of Science, 2001-2003
- Glaciotectonic Map of Latvia. Leader, Project No. 96.0299, funded by Latvian Council of
- Raw Material Sector. District Planning in Latvia. Pilot Study in Kuldiga District.
Consulting geologist, Report no. 30602-007, Denmark Environmental Agency/COWI, 1998
- Glaciotectonic Database Project of Latvia. Head of the Project No. 93.329, funded by
Latvian Council of Science, 1994-1996
Organization and Management of International Meetings, Workshops
- Chairman of the Scientific Committee of the 8th Baltic Stratigraphic Conference, 28
August - 1 September 2011, Latvia.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the 10th Marine Geological Conference
"The Baltic Sea Geology - 10", 24 - 28 August 2010, saint-Petersburg, Russia.
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the Peribaltic Working Group International
Field Symposium on Extent and timing of the Wtichselian glaciation southeast of the Baltic
Sea, September 13 -17, 2009, Southern Estonia and N orthern Latvia.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Field Symposium on the
Quaternary of Western Lithuania: from the Pleistocene glaciations to the evolution of the
Baltic Sea, May 27 June 02, 2007, Plateliai, Lithuania.
- Member of the Program Committee of the International Field Symposium on Late Pleistocene
Glacigenic Deposits in the Central Part of the Scandinavian Ice Sheet, September 11-15,
2006, Kola Peninsula, Russia.
- Member of the Organizing Committee of the 9th Marine Geological Conference
"The Baltic Sea Geology - 9", 27 August - 3 September, 2006, Jurmala, Latvia.
- Head of the Organizing Committee, the International Field Symposium on Quaternary
Geology and Modern Terrestrial Processes in Western Latvia, September 12-17, 2004.
- Member of the Program Committee of the 6th International Drumlin Symposium of the INQUA
Commision on Glaciation, June 17-23, 2001, Nicholas Copernicus University, Poland.
- Head of the Organizing Committee, the INQUA Commission on Glaciations, Peribaltic Group
and Friends of Baltic Quaternary field Symposium on Glacial Processes and Quaternary
Environment, May 25-31, 1998, .Latvia.
- Member of the Organizing Committee, the XIV INQUA Congress in Berlin, August 3-10,1995.
Postcongress Excursion C-3, Baltic Traverse, August 11-20, 1995.
- Member of the Organizing Committee, Pleistocene Stratigraphy, Ice Marginal Formations
and Deglaciation of the Baltic States. Scientific Excursion of Peribaltic Group IGCP 253
Termination of the Pleistocene, June 14-19, 1993.
- Head of the Organizing Committee, Glaciotectonic Processes, Sediments, Landforms and
Their Influence on the Present Geological Situation // Baltic Regional Summer Field
Meeting of Geologists and Geomorphologists. North and Central Vidzeme, Latvia, July 27-
August 01, 1992.
- Head of the Organizing Committee, Glacial Lithomorphogenesis, Paleogeography of
Quaternary Epoch, Present Exodynamic Processes and Their Paleoecological Aspects // Winter
Seminar Geomorphologists and Geologists of the Baltic States, Belarus and European part of
Russia. Jurmala, Latvia, March 18-21, 1991.
Titles of Doctoral Theses supervised and completed
- Strautnieks, I., 1999: Glaciogenic Landforms of the Eastern Kursa Upland
and Their Genesis. University of Latvia, Riga, 178 pp. (in Latvian).
- Kalnina, L. 2001: Middle and Late PleistoceneEnvironmental Changes as
Recorded by Biostratigraphy in the Latvian Part of the Baltic Sea Basin. Stockholm
- Saks, T., 2010: Middle and Late Weichselian paraglacial and subglacial
environments in the coastal plains of Western Latvia. University of Latvia, Riga, 82 pp.
- Kalvans, A., 2010: Micromorphology and microfabric of tills and
glacially disturbed sediments, Baltic coastal plain, Western Latvia. University of Latvia,
Riga, 148 pp.
- Markots, A., 2011: Morphology, structure and formation conditions
of plateau-like hills of insular accumulative-glaciostructural uplands iin Latvia.
University of Latvia, Riga, 124 pp. (in Latvian).
Last update 03.10.2012.