||Professor Uldis VIESTURS
Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology, University of
Kronvalda bulv. 4
Riga, LV1586, Latvia
Project Manager, Latvian State Institute of Wood Chemistry
Dzerbenes iela 27
Riga, LV 1006, Latvia
Latvia University of Agriculture, Faculty
of Food Technology
Liela iela 2,
Jelgava, LV 3001, Latvia
Phone: + 371 67034884, +371 67553063; mob.: +371 29284923
Fax: +371 67034885, +371 67550635
Born: June 14, 1936, Zvarde, Latvia
- Research in the regularities of microorganism growth and metabolite biosynthesis
- Chemical engineering and bioengineering
- Conversion of the photosynthesized biomass for renewable energy (bioethanol, pyrolysis
products, etc.), bio-bleaching of cellulose
- Bioreactor design, process control, mixing in bioreactors, mass transfer in
gas-liquid-solid systems, designing and start-up of basic equipment for classical
- Anaerobic waste digestion with biogas production, environmental biotechnology
- Food biotechnology
- Innovations: general problems, state of the art in Latvia, facilitation of TT
Languages: Latvian, Russian, and English
- Latvia University of Agriculture (Faculty of Food Technology), 1960
- Dr.sc.ing. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in Western countries ),
Institute of Food Technology, Kiev, Ukraine,1968
- Dr.habil.sc.ing. (Doctor of Science in former USSR), Institute of Food
Technology, Kiev, Ukraine, 1975
- Engineer and Head of Laboratory of Milgravis Ethanol and fodder yeast factory,
Ministry of Food Industry of Latvia, 1960-1964
- Head of Design Office, Institute of Microbiology, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1964-
- Head, Laboratory of Bioengineerig, Institute of Microbiology, 1969-1986
- Director, Institute of Wood Chemistry,Latvian Academy of Sciences (Latvian State
Institute of Wood Chemistry),1986-1993
- Head , Laboratory of Bioengineering, Institute of Wood Chemistry, 1984-
- Chairman of Scientific Council, Institute of Wood Chemistry, 1986-1997; Vice-chairman,
- Vice-president, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1989-1992
- Director, Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology , University of Latvia (LU MBI),
- Professor, Faculty of Food Technology, Latvia
University of Agriculture, 1994-
- Professor, Faculty of Biology, University of
Latvia, 1996-2005, Assistant Professor, 2005 - 2008
- Vice-president, Member of the Presidium, Academy of
Agricultural and Forestry Sciences of Latvia, 2002 - 2007
- Senior Researcher, Deputy Director, Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology,
University of Latvia, 1998 -
Honours and Awards:
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1982
- Full Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1987
- Full Member, Academy of Agricultural and Forestry
Sciences of Latvia, 1994
- Member, Academia Scientiarum et Artium Europaea, 1992
- Full Member, Ukrainian Technological Academy, 1999
- Member, European Academy of Sciences, (Section of
Biological Sciences with the citation " for an outstanding and lasting
contribution to biological sciences, biotechnology and education"), 2002
- Honorary Member of the International Biographical Centre Resarch Council, Cambridge,
- Professor (Biotechnology), USSR Supreme Certification Committee, 1984
- The Latvian SSR State Prize, 1965,1980
- Merited Inventor of Latvian SSR, 1975
- Honorary Diploma , Latvia University of Agriculture, 1998
- The Prize of the Latvian Academy of Sciences and joint-stock company "Aldaris"
- Honorary Diploma for significant research and pedagogical work, University of Latvia,
- Acknowledgement of the Latvian Employers Confederation for the co-operation with
enterpreneurs "For Innovations in Entrepreneurship", 2005
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- Editor-in-Chief for the journal Wood Chemistry, 1987-1995
- Member of Editorial Board for Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of Sciences,
- Member of Editorial Board for internal. journal Bioautomation (Sofia), 1999 -
- Member, International Advisory Boards and International Scientific Committies of several
International Conferences (Prague 1993,1996,1998, 2000, 2002; Sofia 1993, 1995, 1997,
1999, 2001, 2005; Cambridge 1994, Paris 1997; Shimkent- Kazakhstan, 2001, Bamberg
/Germany/, 2003, Badajoz/Spain/, 2004; Riga, 2007; Perugia /Italy/, 2007, 2009
- Member of the International Scientific Advisory Commitee, International Conference on
Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology "BioMicroWorld2005"
- Member (Chairman, 1993 -2002), Latvian Council of
Science Expert Committee ( Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Virology, Biotechnology),
- Treasurer, Member of Senate, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1993-2001
- Deputy Chairman of the Board , Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1993-
- Vice-Chair, Division of Chemical, Biological, and Medical Sciences, Latvian Academy of
Sciences, 1998 -
- Member of the Presidium (1996 - 2009) and Head of the Food Department
(1976-2001), Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences of Latvia
- Advisor, FEMIRC-LATVIA, 1997-1999, IRC-LATVIA, 1999 - 2007
- Member of Promotion Council, Faculty of Biology, University of Latvia (LU), 1997 -
- Chairman of Promotion Council, Faculty of Food Technology, Latvia University of
Agriculture, 1998 -
- Chairman of the State Examination Commission, Faculty of Food Technology, Latvia
University of Agriculture, 2001 -
- Senator, Member of the Strategy Commission of the Senate, LU, 1997 - 2003
- Member of the Council, Faculty of Biology, LU, 1998 - 2005
- Member of the Council, Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology, LU, 1997 -
- Member of the Scientific Council, Institute of Wood Chemistry, 1986 -
- Member of the Latvian Quality Council at the Marketing Association, 1999 - 2002
- Member of the European Federation of Biotechnology, WP Bioreactor Performance ,
- Member of the European Federation of Chemical Engineering, WP Mixing, 1988-
- Member of the Research Board of Advisers, American Biographical Institute
- FP5 Expert N EE 19981A13914. FP7 Representative of Latvia in PC Food Safety and Quality
- Member, Working Group for Development of the National Innovation Programme Project
(resolution N 240, 02.07.2001 Presidium of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of
- Member of the Advisory Convent, Latvia University of Agriculture, 2005 -
- Trends in Biotechnology and Bioreactor Design. Invited lecture. Bioprocess
Engineering93, October 2-5, 1995, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Biotechnology and Biosafety in the Republic of Latvia. Invited lecture. Central and
Eastern European Conference for Regional and International Cooperation on Safety in
Biotechnology, 4-6 September, 1995, Keszthely, Hungary.
- Biological Treatment of Recycled Pulp Fibers. Invited lecture. CHISA96. 12th
International Congress of Chemical and Process Engineering, 25-30 August, 1996,
Prague, Czech Republic.
- Energy from Renovables. Invited lecture. Forum "Forest and Energy",
Schwerdingen, Deutschland, January 17-20, 1998.
- Innovations and RTD Development: the Case of Latvia. Invited lecture. CHISA'2000,
- Public-Private Partnership in Collaboration Chain - from Elementary School to Innovative
Marketing of Newly Created Intellectual Products. Invited lecture, Katowice, May,2003.
(Co-authors - K.Sedlenieks, Z.Ozola, A.Zilevica). Full text - In: Public
and Private Sector Partnerships: Sustainable Success (Ed. L. Montanheiro, F. Kuznik,
A. Ochojski), 2003, SHU Press, SHU City Campus, Sheffield, England, UK, pp. 403-414.
University of Latvia, Latvia University of Agriculture:
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Food Biotechnology
- Viesturs U.E., Kuznetsov A.M., Savenkov V.V. Fermentation Systems, 1986, Riga:
Zinatne Press, 368 pp. (in Russian).
- V.Dubrovskis, U.Viesturs. Anaerobic Digestion of Agricultural Wastes, 1988, Riga:
Zinatne Press, 204 pp. (in Russian).
- U.Viesturs, I.Smite, A.Zilevica. Biotehnologie:Agenti Biotehnologici, Tehnolgii
Aparatura, 1991, Bucuresti: Editura Ceres, 288 pp.(in Romanian).
- U.E.Viesturs, A.M.Kuzniecow, W.W.Sawienkow. Biorektory: Zasady obliczen i doboru, 1990,
Warszawa: Wydawnictwa Naukowo-Techniczne, 350 pp. (in Polish).
- Ruklisha M., Shvinka J., Viesturs U. Biotechnology of Bacterial Synthesis. 1992,
Riga: Zinatne Press, 367 pp. (in Russian).
- J.K.Staniskis, D.Levisauskas, R.Stimutis, U.E.Viesturs, M.Kristapsons. Automation of
biotechnological processes: Measurements, Optimisation and Control. U.Viesturs (Ed.), 1992,
Riga: Zinatne Press, 350 pp. (in Russian).
- A.Zilevica, D.Rinkuza, U.Viesturs. Microorganisms and Viruses: Morphological,
Physiological and Antigenic Properties, 1992, Riga: Zinatne Press, 272 pp. (in
- Uldis E.Viesturs, Stoyan M.Tzonkov (Eds.). Bioprocess Engineering, 2006, Sofia:
Avangard Prima, 255 pp.
- U.Viesturs, I.Simeonov, T.Pencheva, J.Vanags, M.Petrov, Y.Pavlov, O.Roeva, T.Ilkova,
M.Vishkins, I.Hristozov. Contemporary Aproaches to Modelling, Optimisation and Control of
Biotechnological Processes, 2010, Sofia: Prof.Marin Drinov Academic Publishing House,
* * *
- M.A.Priede, J.J.Vanags, U.E.Viesturs, K.G.Tucker, W.Bujalski, C.R.Thomas. Hydrodynamic,
physiological and morphological characteristics of Fusarium moniliforse in
geometrically dissimilar stirred bioreactors. - Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 1995,
vol. 48, N3, pp. 266-277.
- M.Ruklisha, U.Viesturs, L.Labane. Growth control and ppGpp synthesis in Brevibacterium
flavum cells at various medium mixing rates and aeration intensities. - Acta
Biotechnologica, 1995, vol.15, N 1, pp. 41-48.
- M.Leite,T.Eremeeva, A.Treimanis, V.Egle, T.Bykova, L.Purina, U.Viesturs. The Effect of
Xylanase Type Enzymes on the Different Layers of Birch Wood ORGANOSOLV Pulp Fibre Walls. -
Acta Biotechnologica, 1995, vol.15, N , pp. 199-210.
- J.J.Vanags, M.A.Priede, U.E.Viesturs. Studies of the mixing character and flow
distribution in mycelial fermantation broth. - Acta Biotechnologica, 1995, vol. 15,
N 4, pp.355-366.
- M.Ruklisha, U.Viesturs. Some biochemical responses of Brevibacterium flavum upon
substrate concentration and medium mixing intensity. - Chem. Biochem. Eng. Q, 1996,
vol. 10, N 1, pp.1-7.
- U.Viesturs, M.Leite, A.Treimanis, T.Eremeeva, A.Apsite, M.Eismonte, P.Jansons.
Production of cellulases and xylanases in Trichoderma viridae and bioogical processing of
lignocellulose and recycled paper fibers. - 17th Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels
and Chemicals. . -Spring 1996, USA. - Applied Biochemistry and Biology,
1996, vol. 57/58, pp. 349-360.
- G.Dobele, N.Bogdanovich, G.Telisheva, U.Viesturs. Application of sorbent obtained by
pyrolysis of sewage sludge for biological treatment of waste water. - 17th Symposium on
Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals. -Spring 1996, USA. - Applied
Biochemistry and Biology, 1996, vol. 57/58, pp. 857-867.
- U.Viesturs, M.Leite. Physiological and technico-engineering aspects of lignocellulose
solid-state fermentation with filamentous fungi. - In: Advances in Bioprocess
Engineering (eds: E.Galindo and O.T.Ramirez), 1996, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp.
- A.Apsite, U.Viesturs, V.Steinberga, V.Toma. Morphology and antifungal action of the
genus Trichoderma cultivated in geometrically dissimilar bioreactors. - World J.
Microbiol.&Biotechnol., 1998, vol. 14, pp. 23-29.
- U.Viesturs, M.Leite, M.Eismonte, T.Eremeeva, A.Treimanis. Biological deinking technology
for the recycling of office waste papers. - Bioresource Technology, 1999, vol.
76, pp. 255-265.
- J.Vanags, U.Viesturs, I.Fort. Mixing intensity studies in a pilot plant stirred
bioreactor with an electromagnetic drive. - Biochem. Eng. J. , 1999, vol.3, pp.
- S.Strikauska, D.Zarina, A.Berzins, U.Viesturs. Degradation of ammonia by two stage
biofiltration system. - Environmental Engineering and Policy, 1999, vol. 1, N 3,
- U.Viesturs, G.Telisheva, T.Dizhbite. Chemical processing of photosynthesized biomass for
industry and energy. - Bulgarian Chem. Commun., 1999, vol. 31, N 3/4, pp.
- G.Telysheva, G.Lebedeva, T.Dizhbite, N.Zaimenko, J.Ammosova, U.Viesturs.Use of silicon-
containing lignin products for in situ soil bioremidiation. - In: Bioremediation of
Contaminated Soils. Marcel Dekker.inc., New York, Basel, USA , 2000, pp. 699-724
- T.Eremeeva, T. Bikova, M.Eismonte, U.Viesturs, A.Treimanis. Fractionation and
molecular characteristics of cellulose during enzymatic hydrolysis. - Cellulose (Kluwer
Academic Publishers), 2001, vol. 8, N 1, pp. 69-79.
- A.Berzins, M.Rikmanis, M.Toma, U.Viesturs, S.Gonta. Cultivation of Zymomonas mobilis
113S at different regimes. - Acta Biotechnologica, 2001, vol.21, N 1, pp.
- A.Berzins, M.Toma, M.Rikmanis, U.Viesturs. Influence of micromixing on microorganisms
and products. - Acta Biotechnologica, 2001, vol. 21, N 2, pp. 155-170.
- J.Vanags, U.Viesturs. Local mixing intensity measurements for food industry and
biotechnology. - Food Technology and Biotechnology, 2001, vol. 39, N 1, pp.
- J.Vanags, U.Viesturs. Flexible process control application based on local mixing
intensity measurements. - In: Novel Processes and Control Technologies in the Food
Industry, F.Bozoglu et al (ed.), 2001, vol. 338, pp. 24-36.
- T.Eremeeva, M.Leite, T.Bikova, A.Treimanis, U.Viesturs. Application of size-exclusion
chromatography to enzymatic bleaching of wood pulp. - In: Cellulosic Pulps, Fibres and
Materials, J.F.Kennedy (ed.), Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, England,
2001, pp. 55-60.
- M.Bekers, M.Marauska, J.Lukevics, M.Grube, A.Vigants, D.Karklina, L.Skudra, U.Viesturs.
Oats and fat-free milk based functional food product. - Food Biotechnology, 2001,
vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 1-12.
- R.Karklins, J.Lemba, U.Viesturs. Biotechnology for organic acids production. - G.I.T.
Laboratory Journal, 2001, vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 281-283.
- M.Bekers, R.Linde, D.Upite, E.Kaminska, U.Viesturs. Sugar beet juice fermentation by Zymomonas
mobilis attached to stainless steel wire spheres. - Acta Biotechnologica, 2001,
vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 89-96.
- M.A.Priede, J.J.Vanags, U.E.Viesturs. Performance of Aspergillus niger
cultivation in geometrically dissimilar bioreactors evaluated on the basis of
morphological analyses. - Food Technology and Biotechnology, 2002, vol. 40, N 1,
- J.Vanags, U.Viesturs. Local mixing control in a laboratory bioreactor with an
electromagnetic drive. - 11th European Conference on Mixing,15-17 October 2003, Bamberg,
Germany, pp. 293-298.
- M..Toma, U.Kalnenieks, A.Berzins, M.Rikmanis, U.Viesturs. The effect of mixing on
glucose fermentation by Zymomonas mobilis continuous culture.- Process
Biochemistry, 2003, vol. 38, pp.1347-1350.
- U.Viesturs, D.Zarina, S.Strikauska, A.Berzins. Utilisation of food woodworking
production by-products by composting. - Electronic J. Bioautomation (Bulgaria),
2004, vol. 1, pp. 83-98.
- T.Dizhbite, G.Telisheva, V.Jurkjane, U.Viesturs. Characterization of the radical
scavenging activity of lignins - natural antioxidants. - Bioresource Technology,
2004, vol. 95, pp. 309-317.
- U.Viesturs, A.Zilevica, J.Stabulnieks. Lettonie: de la recherche à l'application. - Biofutur,
2005, N 257, pp. 41-45.
- M.Priede, U.Viesturs. Effect of pulsing mixing inerruptions on the Aspergillus niger
morphology and citric acid production. - Chemical and Biochemical Engineering,
2005, vol. 19, N 4, p. 359-366.
- M.Priede, U.Viesturs. Effect of the inoculum spore concentration and medium pH on the Aspergillus
niger morphology. - Proc. LAU, 2005, vol. 13, N 308, pp. 77-84.
- Dz.Zarina, U.Viesturs, S.Strikauska. Effect of inoculum on the survival of pathogenic
agents in different composts. - In: Modern Multidisciplinary Applied
Microbiology. Exploiting Microbes and Their Interactions /Ed.- Antonio
Mendez-Vilas/, Wiley-VCH. Book ISBN 3-527-31611-6, 2006, pp. 737-744.
- J.Vanags, U.Viesturs, M.Vishkins. The flexible and user friendly fermentation processes
controller. - Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, ISSN 0132-4160, 2006, vol. 2, pp.
- M.Rikmanis, A.Berzins, U.Viesturs. Excess turbulence as a cause of turbohypobiosis in
cultivation of microorganisms. - Central European J. Biology, 2007, vol. 2, N 4,
- U.Viesturs. Development and automation of microrurbulence intensifying systems and
biosynthesis conditions in bioreactors. - Bioautomation, 2007, vol. 7, pp.
1-8. (ISSN 1312-451X).
- J.Vanags, M.Rychtera, S.Ferzik, M.Vishkins, U.Viesturs. Oxygen and temperature
control during the cultivation of microorganisms using substrate feeding. - Eng. Life
Sci., 2007, vol.7, N 3, pp. 247-252.
- A.Mihailova,O.Muter, S.Strikauska,B.Limane, A.Berzins, U.Viesturs, Dz. Zarina.
Comparison of various amandments on the growth of the targeted bacteria association and
ammonia biodegradation. 7th Int. Conf. on Environmental Engineering, Vilnius,
Lithuania, May 22-23, 2008, p. 218-223.
- U.Viesturs, A.Berzins, J.Vanags. Performance of the cultivation of microorganisms using
different mixing systems. 18th Int. Congr. of Chemical and Process Engineering,
Summaries 3 - Hydrodynamic Processes, 24-28 August 2006, Praha, Czech Republic, p.851
- U.Viesturs, A.Berzins, J.Vanags. Comparison of different mixing systems for cultivation
of microorganisms. - 18th Int. Congr. of Chemical and Process Engineering, Summaries 5
Systems and Technologies, 27-31 August 2008, Praha, Czech Republic, p.1967.
- U.Viesturs, A.Zilevica. Higher education and entrepreneurship in achieving a
knowledge-based economy. - In: 20 Jahre Europäischen Akademie der Wissenschaften und
Künste. Festshrift. Volume 13 / Eds. - Maria Eder & Felix Unger/, Edition
Weimar: Salzburg, 2009, pp. 429-440.
- U.Viesturs, D.Karklina, A.Zilevica. Reports and articles - can they be considered as a
successful result of research? - Proc. Int. Scientific Conference "Latvia
University of Agriculture - 70", Oct. 29, 2009, Jelgava, Latvia, pp. 169-170.
Research Projects and Programmes:
International, FP5 / FP6 /FP7/ -
- U.Viesturs (Participant; Coordinator of Latvian Part of Project - G.Telisheva, Latvian
Institute of Wood Chemistry). Development of Methods for the Remediation of Pesticides. - PESTICIDE,
EC Contract No. ICA2-CT-2000-10002. FP5 R&D project.
- U.Viesturs (Participant; Coordinator of Latvian Part of Project - J.Vanags). Process
Control Based on the Information about Local Mixing. - Lockmix IND, Contract No.
- U.Viesturs (Participant; Coordinator of Latvian Part of Project - J.Stabulnieks).
- U.Viesturs (Participant; Coordinator of Latvian Part of Project - G.Telisheva).
In-vessel Biological Degradation of Wood Powder from the Furniture Industry. - WODOCOMP
(RTD performer), FP5 CRAFT project.
- U.Viesturs (Participant; Coordinator - prof. M.V.Magni, Italy, Perugia University).
Biotechnology University Formation for Enterprises Development. Erasmus-Socrates
Project, Agr.No. 110769-CP-1-2003-1-IT-ERASMUS-TN.
- U.Viesturs (Participant; Coordinator - prof. M.V.Magni, Italy, Perugia University).
BIOTECHnology Thematic NETwork. Erasmus-Socrates Project. Agr.No.
- U.Viesturs (Participant; Coordinator - B.Andersons). WOODPRO "Integration of the
Latvian State Institute of Wood Chemistry in the European Research Area". Contract
N QLK5-CT-2002-30360 (2003-2006).
- U.Viesturs (Participant; Coordinator - B.Andersons). WOOD-NET, FP7-REGPOT-2007-1
- U.Viesturs (Head of Project). Effect of the Oscillations of Hydrodynamic Factors on
Biosynthesis Processes and the Advancement of their Control Systems by Local Mixing and
Rheological Criteria. Latvian Council of Science (2001 -2004).
- U.Viesturs (Head of Project). Biotechnology of Enzymatic Bleaching and Modification of
Cellulose. Latvian Council of Science (2001 -2004).
- U.Viesturs (Head of Project). The Enzyme Biotechnology for Cellulose Fiber Biobleaching,
Deinking and Modification. Latvian Council of Science (1997-2000).
- U.Viesturs (Head of Project). The Theoretical Background for Bioprocess Control by
Mixing Intensity Characteristics. Latvian Council of Science (1997-2000).
- U.Viesturs (Head of Project). Liquid-cells Interaction Phenomena under Different Mixing
Conditions in Bioreactors . Latvian Council of Science (1994-1996).
- U.Viesturs (Head of Project). Biotechnology in Wood Pulp Bleaching: Use of Extracellular
Xylanases, Cellulases and of Mycelial Fungi. Latvian Council of Science (1994-1996).
- U.Viesturs (Co-ordinator). Development and Application of Innovative Principles of
Pasteurization Equipment. Contract N 27-01/01-74 (2001-2002).
- U.Viesturs (Head of Project). Biotechnological methods in the modification and
functionalization of wood components. Latvian Council of Science (2004-2008).
- U.Viesturs (Head of Project). Development and automation of microturbulence
intensifying constructions and biosynthesis regimes for improvement of the dispersion
degree and productivity in bioreactors with multiphase operation medium. Latvian
Council of Science (2004-2008).
- U.Viesturs (Head of Subproject). Innovative Technologies of Wood Processing Products.
State Research Programme (2006-2009)
- U.Viesturs (Head of Project). Investigation of Solid State and Submerged Fermentation
Processes. Latvian Council of Science (2009-2012).
Last update 27.08.2010