||Professor Kalvis Torgans
Department of Civil Law, Faculty of Law,
University of Latvia
19 Raina Bulv., Riga, LV 1586
Phone: + 371 67034527
Born: March 31, 1939
- Contract Law
- Commercial Law
- Consumer Protection Law
- Civil Procedure Law
Languages: English, Russian, Latvian
- Latvia State University (Faculty of Economics and Law) cum laude, 1962
- Dr.iur. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in a few Western
countries), Tartu University (Estonia), 1970
- Doctor of Law (Doctor of Science in former USSR), Moscow State University (Russia), 1985
- Dr.habil.iur. (Habilitated Doctor of Law), University of Latvia, 1992
- Upgrading: Indianapolis, USA 1991, Louvain-le-Neuve, Belgium, 1994; East-West Forum,
Florence, Italy, 1994.
- Assistant, Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor - Faculty of Law, Latvia State
- Dean of the Faculty of Law and Associate Professor, Latvia State University, 1976-1979
- Associate Professor, Senior Reseacher, Latvia State University, 1979-1985
- Professor of the Department of Civil Law, Latvia State University, 1985-1991
- Head of the Department of Civil Law and Professor, University of Latvia, 1991-2005
- Professor, University of Latvia, since 2005 -
- Adviser of Parliament (Latvia Saeima) Law Comission, 1991-1993
- Visiting Professor at Northwestern School of Law, Portland, USA, 1999
- Senator, The Supreme Court of Latvia, since February 2008
Honours and Awards
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1992- 1997
- Full Member of Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1997
- Gold Record of Achievement, American Biographical Institute, 1995
- Man of Achievement 1994, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England
- Diploma of Honour of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, 2004
- Silver Emblem of Latvia University, 2004
- Award of the Cabinet of Ministers of Latvia, 2005.
- Man of Achievement, American Biographical Institute, 2008.
- Order of Tree Stars (Latvia), 2009
- Latvia University Award in science for foundation of scientific school (2010)
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Member of the Promotion Academic Council on Law, University of Latvia
- Head of the Professors Council on Law, University of Latvia
- Expert of Latvian Council of Science Social sciences. Law (1993-1996, 2000-2012)
- Civil Law (contracts, tort law)
- Problems of Contract and Tort Law (study programme for L.L.M.)
- Legal Writing (study programme for L.L.M)
More than 215 in Latvian, Russian, English, including 22 books, co-author of 12
- Commentaries of the Civil Law. Obligations (art. 1401-2004), Riga, 2000, (in
Latvian, co-author and sc. ed.)
- Commentaries of the Civil Procedure Law Act (co-author and sc.redactor), 1999 (ed.
1-st), 2001 (ed. 2nd), 2006 (ed. 3-rd).
- Latvian Contract Law and the EU. - Juridica International . Estonian Civil Code
in European Private Law Context. Estonia, VI/2001, p. 38-43
- Comparing and Contrasting Obligation - Related Laws in Latvia and the Member States of
the EU. - Humanities and Social Sciences . Latvia. Latvian Law and the EU, 2001,
N 2 (31), pp. 5-26.
- "Principles of European Contract Law" and Latvian Civil Law. - Proc. Latv.
Acad. Sci., A, 2002, vol. 56, N 4/5/6, pp. 34-41
- The Concept of Fault in Latvian Contract Law Requires Adjustment. - Humanities
and Social Sciences . Latvia. Current Topics in Latvian Law, 2003, N 3 (40), pp.
- Freedom of Private Contracts and Influence of Public Power Thereon. Harmonization of Law
in the Baltic Sea Region in the Turn of the 20-th and 21-st Centuries, Riga, 2006, p.
- Obligation Law. Part I, Text book (in Latvian), Riga, 2006, 315 p.
- Latvian Report on Tort Law.- Digest of European Tort Law. Volume 1: Essential Cases on
Natural Causation. Springer Wien New York. Wien, 2007, p. 66 - 69, 148 149. ;
- Fault and Remedies in the European Civil Law. Trends and Perspectives in the
Development of Contemporary Civil Law. Justitia, Vilnius, 2007, p. 210- 216;
- Obligation Law. Part II, Text book (in Latvian), 2008, 359 p.
- K.Torgans (Head of Project). New Commercial Law Act and Its Implementation. Latvian
Council of Science (2001 - 2003).
- K.Torgans (Head of Project) Application and Further Approximation of Latvias
Private Law in the Framework of the EU (2004-2008).
- K. Torgans (head) The Promotion of the Law in the Context of the Sustainable Development
- Participation at research program A2 and A10, European Centre of Tort and Insurance Law,
Austrian Academy of Sciences (2004 -2011)
- Participation at more than 60 draft laws and regulations of Cabinet of Ministers (during
Last update 11.10.2012