|Dr.soc. Talis TISENKOPFS
Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social Sciences,
University of Latvia
Lomonosova Street, 1
Riga, LV 1019
Phone: +371 29417173
Fax: + 371 67470244
Born: 28 July 1957, Tukums district, Latvia.
Interests (Fields of expertise) :
- Rural and regional development
- Agro food chains
- Knowledge systems and innovation
- Social capital
- Community studies
- Sustainable development
- Human development
- Social organization of economy
Language skills: Latvian- native, English and Russian - fluent reading,
speaking and writing.
- Dr.soc. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph. D. in Western countries),
Institute of Philosophy, Sociology and Law, Lithuanian Academy of Sciences, Vilnius, 1989
Thesis - "Festivals in Contemporary Latvian Culture"
- Post-graduate studies in sociology of art, Institute of Theory of Arts, USSR Academy of
Sciences, Moscow, 1982-1985
- Graduate studies in philosophy and sociology, University of Latvia ( Faculty of
History and Philosophy), 1975-1980
Academic Titles and Scientific Degrees
- Professor of Sociology, University of Latvia (LU), 2002
- Associate Professor in Sociology, LU, 1999
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1998
- Dr.soc. , Latvian Academy of Sciences , 1992
- Cand. philos., Lithuanian Academy of Sciences, 1989
- Chairman of the Board, Advanced Social and Political Research Institute (ASPRI), LU,
- Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences, LU, 2002 -
- Director, Baltic Studies Centre, 1991 -
Former Professional Experience:
- Head of Department of Sociology, LU, 1998 - 2004
- Associate Professor in Sociology, LU, 1999-2002
- Docent, Department of Sociology, LU, 1998-1999
- Lecturer, Department of Sociology, LU, 1994-1998
- Researcher and Lecturer, Department of Sociology, Latvia University of Agriculture ,
- Senior Researcher and Project Director, Institute of Philosophy and Sociology,
Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1994 - 2004
- Researcher, Institute of Philosophy and Sociology, Latvian Academy of Sciences,
1991 - 1994
- Lecturer, Department of Sociology and Pedagogy, Riga Technical University, 1991-1994
- Lecturer, Department of Social Sciences, Latvian State Conservatoire, 1980-1990
- Visiting lecture "Rural development in transition", University of Helsinki, MA
programme in post-socialist rural and regional studies, January, 2007
- Visiting researcher, University of Jyvaskyla, SOCRATES exchange programme and Finnish
Academy exchange programme, May, 2000
- Research visit at the Department of Agricultural and co-operative research( the Danish
Council of Sciences research visit scholarship), South Jytland University Centre, Denmark,
- Visiting scholar at the Department of Sociology, University of Umea, Sweden
(Participation in post-graduate course "Nations, Nationalism and National
Identity", the Swedish Institute Scholarship), 1994, February-March
- Visiting reasercher, Centre for Rural Research (NorFA Scholarship), University of
Trondheim, Norway, 1992, April-July
Special Eastern Countries experience:
- Estonia - external expert, Phare Multi-Country Programme Quality Assurance in Higher
Education, June, 1998
- Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania - PECO Project "Incentives and Obstacles to the
Implementation of More Sustainable Methods in Agriculture in Estonia, Latvia and
Lithuania, 1994 -1996.
- The Latvian Writers Union Literature Prise 2007 for outstanding work in the genre of
essayistic for the book Uzburta vieta (Imagined Place), 2008
- Award for achievements in scientific research given on the occasion of 85th anniversary
of University of Latvia, 2004
- Award for excellent contribution in social sciences, award given by the Latvian Academy
of Sciences, Lattelekom SIA, and the Latvian Foundation for Education, 2003
- Award for analysis of the theme of Europe (an essay The Rape of Europe,
published in newspaper Diena on May 8, 2002), award given by the Delegation of
European Commission in Latvia, 2002
- Cicero Award for objective analysis of development processes in Latvia represented in
UNDP Human Development Reports, award given by the Latvian Academy of Sciences, The
Latvian Association of Journalists, The Council of Integration, and Department of
Communication Studies of the University of Latvia, 2002
- Award for excellence in quality of analysis and excellence in participation and policy
impact of the Latvia Human Development Report 1999. Award given to Talis Tisenkopfs,
Editor-in-Chief, Latvia Human Development Report 1999, at the Second Global Forum on Human
Development, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, organized by the United Nations Development Programme
Professional Activities and Memberships
- 2006 - Member of editorial board Scientific Proceedings of Liepaja Pedagogical
Academy Society and Culture ,
- 2005 Editor-in-chief Acta Universitatis Latviensis,
- 2005 External Evaluation Panel Member for election of professors in sociology,
- 2004 Chairman of the Board, Advanced Social and Political Research Institute
(ASPRI) of the University of Latvia
- 2003 2005 - National expert, European Commission, DG XII, Directorate K, Specific
Programme Integrating and strengthening the European research area Integrating
Programme Committee on Citizens and Governance in a Knowledge-Based Society,
Priority 7 of the 6th Framework Programme
- 2003 Member of editorial board Scientific Proceedings of Riga Technical
University, The Humanities and Social Science
- 2002 Chairman, Professors Council in Demography, Sociology, Political Science and
Communication Science of the University of Latvia
- 1999 2004 Board member of the Soros Foundation Latvia
- 2001 Member of the Promotion Board in Sociology, University of Latvia
- Editor-in-chief of Latvia Human Development Reports 1998, 1999, 2000/2001
- 2000 Member of the Faculty Council, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of
- 1994 2001 - Member of the Promotion Board in Sociology, Latvian Academy of
- 1998 - 1999 Member of the Soros Foundation Civil Society Committee
- 1998 - Corresponding Member of the Latvian Academy of Sciences
- 1998 - Baltic - American Partnership Programme, Member of the Local Expert
- 1995 - European Sociological Association. Standing as a candidate for election into the
ESA Executive Committee, 1995, 1997 and 1999
- 1994 - Chairman of the Promotion Board in Sociology, Latvian Academy of Sciences
- 1992 - European Society for Rural Sociology
- 1990 - International Sociological Association
- 1989 - Board Member, Latvian Sociological Association.
Participation in expert committees
- 2010 2014 Latvian representative in COST domain Individuals,
Society, Culture and Health
- 2010 2011 Expert, SCAR (Standing Committee on Agricultural Research)
Colaborative Working Group Agricultural knowledge and innovation systems
- 2009 Member of assessment committee for appointment of professor with special
responsibilities for Rural Sociology at Department of Rural Research and Development,
University of Southern Denmark
- 2009 Chairman of consultative committee of University of Latvia New
- 2007 Expert at the Ministry of Regional Development and Local Government for
elaboration of Latvias long term development strategy
- 2005 2008 - Member of the Commission for Strategic Analysis under the auspices of
the President of Latvia
- 2003 2006 Expert, Latvian Council of Sciences, expert council Nr. 12
Humanities and Social Sciences
- 2001 Member of the expert group who assisted the Department of Policy Planning
and Coordination of the State Chancellery to elaborate budget priorities
- 2000 2001 Member of the expert group for discussion of the World Bank Latvia
country assistance strategy
- 2000 Member of the expert group, which prepared Latvia sustainable development
- 1998 - Baltic - American Partnership Programme, Member of the Local Expert
- 1998 - Member of the working group of the Ministry of Environment and Regional
Development which elaborated the Latvia Rural Development Programme
- 1997 - Member of the Project Preparation Unit for the World Bank Rural Development
Project in Latvia
- 1997 - 1998 - Member of the Brugges Group A European think tank for agriculture
and rural development
- 1993 Expert of the Latvian Council of Science
Good collaboration with the
Ministry of Regional Development and Local Governments, the Ministry of Agriculture, the
Ministry of Welfare includes participation in research projects, dissemination of
research results, policy consultations, and participation in expert groups. Experience
with the UNDP, the World Bank, the Soros Foundation Latvia , EU Phare, and
bilateral development programmes and projects.
Academic Courses and Supervision of PhD Thesis
- 2008 - International Comparative Research (together with prof.
A.Tabuns), MA programme, Part A, 4 credits
- 2002 - New Tendences in Sociological Theory and Research, PhD
- 2000 - Human development, MA programme course, Part A, 4 credits
- 2000 - Seminar in Contemporary Social Theories, MA programme
course, Part A, 2 credits
- 2005 2008 - Post-modern Social Theories, BA programme
course, Part A, 2 credits
- 1999 - Micro-sociological Theories , BA programme course,
Part A, 4 credits
- 1999 - Sociological practice, BA programme course, Part A, 2
2010 - Supervisor of 5 doctoral students:
Sandra Sumane ("Rural Innovation")
Ilze Lace ("Youth Territorial Mobility")
Sandris Murins ("Sociological Imagination in Lartvian Sociology")
Matiss Neimanis ("Organizational, Technological and Regional Innovation")
Ilona Kunda ("University - Regional Stakeholders Collaboration")
Books, monographs (Total number - 14)
- T.Tisenkopfs (ed.). Sociologija Latvija (Sociology in Latvia), 2010, Riga:
Univ. of Latvia Publishing House, 544 pp. (in Latvian).
- T.Tisenkopfs. Uzburta vieta (Imagined Place), 2007, Riga: Neptuns, 268
pp. (in Latvian)
- B.Bela, T.Tisenkopfs (eds.). Quality of Life in Latvia (Strategic Analysis
Commission under the Auspices of the President of the Republic of Latvia), 2006, Riga
: Zinatne, 430 pp. (in Latvian).
- Z.Ozolina, T.Tisenkopfs (eds.). Latvija eiropeizacijas krustcelos (Latvia at
the Crossroads of Europeanisation), 2005, Riga: LU Akademiskais Apgads, 135
- T.Tisenkopfs (Editor-in-chief). Latvia Human Development Report 2000/2001. Public policy
process in Latvia, 2001, Riga, UNDP, 156 pp.
- T.Tisenkopfs (Editor-in-chief). Latvia Human Development Report 1999. 2000, Riga,
UNDP, 140 pp.
- T.Tisenkopfs (Editor-in-chief). Latvia Human Development Report 1998. 1998, Riga,
UNDP, 107 pp.
- A.Tabuns, J.Broks, A.Tabuna, T.Tisenkopfs. National State and Regime Identity in
Latvia (A.Tabuns, ed.), 2000, Riga: Baltic Studies Centre, 251 pp.
- T.Tisenkopfs, A.Zobena (eds.). Social Aspects of Sustainable Agriculture: Experience in
Baltic and Nordic Countries, 1999, Jelgava: Latvia University of Agriculture, 178
- Simon Davies, Bill Slee, Talis Tisenkopfs. Social and Economic Conditions in
Rural Latvia, 1997, Riga: Institute of Philosophy and Sociology, 135 pp. (in
Contribution to Books (Total number - 32)
- James Kirwan, Talis Tisenkopfs and Adanella Rossi. Mediating trust and locality:
examining the nature, creation and communication of embeddedness in shaping sustainable
food supply chains. - In: Wiskerke, J.S.C., G. van Huylenbroeck & J. Kirwan
(eds). Sustaining food supply chains.Grounded perspectives on the dynamics and impacts
of new modes of food provision. Ashgate, London, 2010
- Talis Tisenkopfs Oh, Blessed Ones. The Sixties Generation Whose Longings
Transformed the world, pp 209-217 in Jouko Nikula (ed) Maaseutuaiheita. Rural
Motifs. Essays in Honour of Professor Leo Granberg. Aleksanteri Series 5/2009, 2009,
University of Helsinki.
- Jan Douwe van der Ploeg, Rudolf van Broekhuizen, Gianluca Brunori, Roberta Sonnino,
Karlheinz Knickel, Talis Tisenkopfs and Henk Oostindie. Towards a framework for
understanding regional rural development. - In: Jan Douwe van der Ploeg & Terry
Marsden (eds) Unfolding Webs: The Dynamics of Regional Rural Development, Assen:
Van Gorcum, 2008, pp. 1-28.
- Talis Tisenkopfs, Ilze Lace and Inta Mierina Social capital. - In: Jan
Douwe van der Ploeg & Terry Marsden (eds) Unfolding Webs: The Dynamics of Regional
Rural Development, Assen: Van Gorcum, 2008, pp. 87-110.
- T.Tisenkopfs, S.Sumane. A visionary and capable chain leader. Rankas Piens Diary. - In: Nourishing
Networks. Fourteen lessons about creating sustainable food suply chains (Dirk Roep
and Han Wiskerke, eds.), 2006, Wageningen: Wageningen University and Reed
Business Information - Agriboek, pp. 79-90.
- 2006 B. Bela, T.Tisenkopfs. Quality of Life in Latvia. - In: aneta
Ozolina (ed.) Yearbook of Politics. Latvia 2005. Riga, Zinatne, pp.
50-78 (in Latvian)
- T.Tisenkopfs, S.Sumane. Rural Community Initiatives in the Latvian Countryside. - In: Mapping
Rural Problematics in the Baltic (Ilkka Alanen, ed.), 2004,
Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing, pp. 219-247.
- T.Tisenkopfs. Globalisation and pheripheral identity. - In: New Horizons in
Sociological Theory and Research (Luigi Tomasi, ed.), 2001, New
York. London, Sydney: Ashgate, pp. 221-255.
- A.Tabuns, T.Tisenkopfs. Attitudes towards European Integration. - In: Aivars Tabuns (ed)
National, State and Regime Identity in Latvia, Riga: Baltic Studies Centre, 2001,
- T.Tisenkopfs. Development of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises in Latvia. - In: Conference
Prague 1999.Transitional Societes in Comparison: East Central Europe vs. Taiwan
(National Science Council, Taipei, Bonn Office), 2000, Frankfurt am Main,
Berlin, Bern: Peter Lang, pp. 381-416.
- T.Tisenkopfs. Latvian childhood memories. - In: National, State and Regime Identity
in Latvia (A.Tabuns, ed.), 2000, Riga: Baltic Studies Centre, pp.
Articles in peer rewiew journals
- Talis Tisenkopfs, Gianluca Brunori, Karlheinz Knickel and. Sandra Sumane. Co-production
of rural innovation. - AGER, Journal of Depopulation and Rural Development Studies, 2011
- Talis Tisenkopfs, Imre Kovach,Michal Lostak and Sandra Sumane. Rebuilding and Failing
Collectivity: Specific Challenges for Farmers Marketing Initiatives in Post-Socialist
Countries. - International Journal of Sociology of Agriculture and Food, 2011
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Preface. Formation and development of sociology in Latvia since 1960s.
- Scientific Papers University of Latvia, 2008, Vol. 736. Sociology:
Sociology in Latvia 40th Aniversary, Riga : LU Akademiskais
apgads, pp. 6-14.
- Talis Tisenkopfs. The new language of sociology: theoretical models, popular
explanations and essays in contemporary sociology. - ibid., pp. 168-186.
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Human capability and quality of life. Researching quality of life in
Latvia. - Social Sciences. Socialniai Mokslai, 2006, No 3 (53),
- Talis Tisenkopfs. The Meaning of Everyday life in Latvian poetry (in Latvian). - Scientific
Papers University of Latvia, 2006, Vol. 701. Sociology, Riga :
LU Akademiskais apgads, pp. 34-70.
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Scientist on Vacation (in Latvian). - Acta Universiatis
Latviensis. Anniversary Edition, 2004, pp. 91-99.
- Talis Tisenkopfs, Sandra umane. Communication processes in rural
communities: the case of partnerships (in Latvian). - Acta Universiatis Latviensis, 2004
, Politics nad Sociology) , pp. 183-207.
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Healing the Trauma (in Latvian). - Acta Universiatis Latviensis,
2004, Vol 663, Politics nad Sociology , pp. 208-221.
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Ak, laimingieji (Oh, Blessed Ones). - Kulturos Barai (Domains
of Culture), 2004, Nr. 4 (474), pp. 56-59.
- Valts Kalnins un Talis Tisenkopfs. Publiskas atbildibas proceduras Latvijas politika un
parvalde.- Proc. Latvian Academy of Sciences, A, 2002, Vol.
56, Nr. 4./5./6., pp. 1-11.
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Par ceribam un glabinu: Zinatne un ilgtspejiga attistiba. - Proc.
Latvian Academy of Sciences, A, 2002, Vol. 56, Nr . 4./5./6.,
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Globalisation and reconfigurating identity. - Money. Life-Style.
Identity (A.Stepcenko, ed.). Latvijas Universitates Zinatniskie Raksti, 2000,
vol. 629, pp.137-171.
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Rurality as creative field: towards an integrated rural development. -
Sociologia Ruralis, 1999, Vol. 3 (39), pp. 411-430.
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Constructed countryside:postsocialist and late modern mixture in rural
change. - Humanities and Social Sciences. Latvia, 1999, 1 (22),
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Young People and New Capitalism. - Humanities and Social Sciences.
Latvia, 1996, 4(13) / 1997, 1(14), pp.167-198.
- Janis Broks, Uldis Ozolins, Gunars Ozolzile, Aivars Tabuns and Talis Tisenkopfs. The
Stability of Democracy in Latvia: Pre-Requisites and Prospects.- Humanities and Social
Sciences. Latvia 1996,4(13) /1997, 1(14),
- Talis Tisenkopfs, Signe Aboltina and Ieva Miezite. Latvian Song Festivals: Historical
and Sociological Aspects. - Proc. Latvian Academy of Sciences, A, 1995,
9/10, pp. 40-48 (in Latvian).
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Search for the Center in a Peripheral Society: A Case Study of Youth
Identities in Latvia. - Nordic Journal of Youth Research, 1995, 3,
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Perceptions of Ethnicity in Latvian Childhood Memories. Childhood.
- A Global Journal of Child Research, 1993, 1, pp.110-118.
- Talis Tisenkopfs. Life and Text: Biographical Approach in Social Sciences. - Proc.
Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1993, 5, pp.1-8 (in Latvian).
Essays, Popular Scientific Articles - 46
Reaserch Reports - 37
International Conference Papers - 31
Papers at Scientific Conferences in Latvia,
Speaches - 10
Papers and Speaches at other Conferences,
Symposia and Seminars:
papers at meetings and conferences organised by the Latvian Academy of Sciences, the
Latvian Association of Intelligentsia,
the Information Centre of the European Union
(European Dialogues), the Soros Foundation Latvia (Public Policy Forums), UNDP.
Recent Representative Research Projects
National Research Projects
and Programmes /Total number (1990 - 2010) - 37/
Life plans of young people and their outlook on regional development.- LU
research grant Y2-Z77. (2007)
Latvia Human Development Report 2007, published by ASPRI. (2006 2007).
Quality of Life in Latvia. - Project commissioned by the Commission for
Strategic Analysis under the auspices of the President of Latvia and Advanced Social and
Political Research Institute (ASPRI) of the University of Latvia. (2005)
Changes in Everyday Life in Contemporary Latvia. - Latvian Council of Science
research grant Nr. 05.1911 (2005-2008).
(Together with professor Zaneta Ozolina). Interaction of Social and Political Processes
in Latvia in the Context of European Integration. - University of Latvia (2004).
Agency Research in Collective Action. - Latvian Council of Science research grant
Nr. 01.0755 (2001-2004).
Social development and social security. Research programme. - Latvian Council
of Science, project NR 1.0020.0.8 (2001).
Latvian song festivals in a changing social environment. - Ministry of Culture,
Republic of Latvia (2002)
The impact of the market economy on the change of social identities and social
structures in Latvia. - Latvian Council of Science (1997-2000).
- IX XI 2006 Renovation of Vilksala manor
house. The State Culture Capital Foundation.
- IX XII 2005 Architectural and historical research
of Vilksala manor house. The State Culture Capital Foundation.
International Projects and
Programmes /Total number (1987 - 2010) - 32 /
- FOODLINKS Knowledge Brikerage to Promote SustainableFood Consumption and Production:
Linking Scientists, Policymakers and Civil Society Organizations. - EU 7th FP Project (2010-2013)
- (Reaserch director). Research Potential of Higher Education Institutions for the
Enhancement of Regional Development. - EEA and Norway Grants (2009-2011)
- ETUDE Enlarging the Theoretical Understanding of Rural Development. - EU
6th FP Project, Contract No. SSPE-CT-2006-44245 (2007-2009)
- IN-SIGHT Strengthening Innovation Processes for Growth and Development, EU
FP6 Project, Contract No. SSP-2005-44510 (2006 2008)
- COFAMI Encouraging Collective Farmers Marketing Initiatives. - EU 6th
FP Project, Contract No SSPE-CT-2005-006541 (2005 2008)
- SINER-GI Strengthening International Research on Geographical Indications: From
Research Foundation to Consistent Policy. - EU 6th FP Project,
Contract No. SSPE-CT-2005-006522 (2005 - 2008)
- Project leader in Latvia . Women Towards ownership in Business and Agriculture. - European
Commission, Community Framework Strategy on Gender Equality and LR Ministry of
- MULTAGRI Capitalisation of Research Results on the Multifunctionality of
Agriculture and Rural Areas. - EU FP5 Project (Specific Support Action),
Contract No. GOCE-CT-2003-505297, subcontractor to the University of Helsinki (2004 -
- PubAcc Researching Public Accountability Procedures in Different European
Societies. - EU FP5 Project, Contract No. HPSE-CT-2001-00076 (2001
- SUS-CHAIN Marketing Sustainable Agriculture: An analysis of the Potential Role of
New Food Supply Chains in Sustainable Rural Developmen. - EU FP5 Project,
Contract No. QLK5-CT-2002-01349 (2003 - 2006)
- (Project director). Latvia Human Development Report 2004/2005, published by UNDP and
ASPRI (2004 2005)
- TRUC Transformation of Rural Communication. - EU FP5 Project, Contract
Nr. QLK5-CT-2001-30025I (2002 2003)
- (Team leader). The Action Research Component Rural partnerships programme.
The British Department for International Development Baltic rural livelihoods
project (2000 - 2003)
- (Project director). DIRA Democratic and integrated regional
development. - Open Society Institute in Budapest. (2000 - 2001)
participation in nine EU 4th, 5th and 6th Framework
Programme projects (MAS, TRUC, PubAcc, SUS-CHAIN, Multagri, Cofami, SINER-GI,
IN-SIGHT, ETUDE) has helped to build comparative research experience and knowledge in
different European contexts.
Last update 17.09.2010