Born: February 28, 1940, Valka,
- Research in regularities of micro-organism growth and metabolite
- Chemical engineering and bioengineering
- Bioreactor design, process control, mixing in bioreactors, mass transfer
in gas-liquid-solid systems, designing and start-up of basic equipment for classical
Languages: Latvian, Russian, English
- Riga Technical University (Faculty of Chemistry), 1964
- Dr. biol. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in Western
countries), Leningrad Technological Institute, Russia, 1990
- Dr. habil. biol., Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Riga, 1993
- Foreman, Technologist, Senior Technologist, Head of Department - Perfume
and Cosmetics factory Dzintars, Riga, 1965-1974
- Teacher, Riga 69th Secondary school, 1974-1975
- Senior Engineer, Researcher, Head of Group, Senior Researcher, Head of
Laboratory, Deputy Director - A. Kirchenstein Institute of Microbiology, Latvian Academy
of Sciences , 1975-1994
- Scientific Secretary, Professor, Head of Laboratory, Deputy Director - Institute of Microbiology and
Biotechnology, University of Latvia, 1994 -
Honours and Awards:
- Professor (Biotechnology), 1995
- State Emeritus scientist, 2005
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- Member of Board, Latvian Association of Scientists, 1991-
- Member, Latvian Council of Science
Expert Committee (Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Virology, Biotechnology), 1993-1997
- Member of European Federation of Biotechnology, WP Measurement and
Control, 1988 -
- Member of Scientific Committee, 9th European Conference on Mixing, Paris,
- Member of North American Mixing Forum, 1996-
Riga Technical University -
- Automatic Bioprocess Control Fundamentals, 1993-1995
- Bioengineering Methods, 1993-1995
- M.Ruklisha, J.Vanags, M.Toma, M.Rikmanis, U.Viesturs. Biochemical
reactions of Brevibacterium flavum depending on medium stirring intensity and flow
structure. - Acta Biotechnologica, 1989, vol. 4, pp. 250-259.
- J.Vanags, M.Rikmanis, E.Ushkans, U.Viesturs. Stirring
characteristics in bioreactors. - AIChE J., Sept. 1990, vol. 36, N 9, pp. 1361-1370.
- I.Fort, P.Ettler, F.Kolin, J.Vanags, M.Rikmanis. Studies on
mixing. - Collect. Czech. Chem. Commun., 1992, vol. 57, pp. 1057-1060.
- A Apsite, A Berzins, M.Toma, V.Steinberga, M.Rikmanis, U.Viesturs.
Effect of cultivation conditions on Trichoderma viridae ii-333 growth. - Proc.
Latv. Acad. Sci., 1995, N 9/10, pp. 121-126.
- M.Toma, M.Rikmanis, A.Berzins, U.Viesturs, I.Kalnina. Impact of
hydrodynamic stress on microorganisms and their response. - Microbial Response to
Stress: What New and How Can It Be Applied?, 1997, 15-18 March, Sesimbra, Portugal, P.30,
- U.Viesturs, M.Rikmanis. Evaluation of mixing phenomena in
bioreactors. Microbial response of different substrate concentrations and mixing
intensities. - 8th Intern. Summer School of Chemical Engineering, 3-9 June 1998,
Sozopol, Bulgaria, pp. 197-200.
- A.Berzins, M.Rikmanis, M.Toma, U.Viesturs, S.Gonta. Cultivation of Zymomonas
mobilis 113S at different regimes. - Acta Biotechnologica, 2001, vol.21, N
1, pp. 19-26.
- A.Berzins, M.Toma, M.Rikmanis, U.Viesturs. Influence of micromixing on
microorganisms and products. - Acta Biotechnologica, 2001, vol.21, N 2, pp.
- M.M.Toma, U.Kalnenieks, A.Berzins, A.Vigants, M.Rikmanis,
U.Viesturs. The effect of mixing on glucose fermentation by Zymomonas mobilis continuous
culture. - Process Biochemistry, 2003, vol. 38, pp. 1347-1350.
Projects and Programmes:
- Methodology for Control and Monitoring of Biotechnological Processes in
Scale-up and Development of Bioreactors. Latvian Council of Science (1991-1993).
- Liquid - cells Interaction Phenomena under Different Mixing Conditions in
Bioreactors. Latvian Council of Science (1994-1996).
- The Theoretical Background for Bioprocess Control by Mixing Intensity
Characteristics. Latvian Council of Science (1997-2000).
Last update 03.09.2005