||Prof. Dr.med. Valdis PIRAGS
Faculty of Medicine
University of Latvia
Sarlotes iela 1a
Riga, LV 1001
Phone: + 371 29237760, +371 67069307
Fax: + 371 67614168
Born: February 20, 1961, Jelgava, Latvia
Languages: Latvian, English, German, Russian
- Endocrinology and Diabetology
- Genome Databases
- Genetics of Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases
- Pathogenesis of Diabetes and Diabetic Complications
- Medical Education
- Intracellular Signal Transduction
- Protein Kinase C (PKC)
Creation of the Unified Latvian Genome Database (2003-2009)
Protein kinase C activity and thrombogenesis in diabetic patients.
Microcirculation in diabetic patients.
Genetics of Graves'disease.
- Dr.med., magna cum laude, University of Ruhr, Bochum (Germany), 1995
- Medical Academy of Latvia and University of Rostock (Germany), 1984-1990
- Faculty of Physics and Mathematics, University of Latvia , 1979-1984
- Professor and Chair of Internal Medicine, the Medical Faculty of the University of
Latvia, since 2005 -
- Associate Professor of Medicine at the Medical Faculty at the University of Latvia,
- Head of the Clinic for Internal Medicine, P.Stradins Clinical University Hospital,
- Head of Endocrinology Course, Associate Professor (docent ), Medical Academy of Latvia,
- Director for Education and Research, P.Stradins University Hospital, 1999-2000
- Head of the Department of Medical Education, Medical Academy of Latvia, 1996-2000
- Research Fellow at the Endocrinology Laboratory of the Ruhr-University, Bochum
- Summer School of NATO Advanced Study Institute on New Developments in Lipid -
Protein Interactions and Receptor Function on the Island of Spetsai (Greece), 1992
- Council of Europe fellowship at the Wilhelm-University of Westfalen, Munster (Germany),
- Junior Research Fellow, Latvian Institute of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, 1990
Honours and Awards:
- Distiguished Research Award for the year 2003 in the science category from the Kuwait
Foundationfor tht Advancement of Sciences for the research article published in the
journal "Medical Principles and Practice", Vopl 12, No.1, 2003.
- Karl-Oberdisse-Prize 1996 (Young researchers award for the best medical research results
in the northwestern part of Germany), Germany, 1996
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- Member, Editorial Board for medical journal Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology
& Diabetes (Germany), 2006 -
- Member of the EAS Advisory Committee, 2005 -
- President of the Baltic Atherosclerosis Society, 2004
- Member of the Council of the Medical Faculty, University of Latvia, 2004
- Review Editor for medical journal International Diabetes Monitor, 2003
- Member of the Working Group on Research on Stored Human Biological Materials
(CDBI-CO-GT2biomat), Council of Europe, Strasbourg, France, 2003
- Member of the Board , the Latvian Medical Association, 2002
- Member of the ScanBalt (Nordic-Baltic Biotech Network) Steering Group, 2002
- Member of the General Committee of the DIABETES EDUCATION STUDY GROUP (DESG) of the
European Association for the Study of Diabetes, 2001-2004
- Member, Editorial Board for medical journal Lietuvos Endokrinologija, 2000 -
- Editor-in-Chief, medical journal Aktualitates Diabetologija un Endokrinologija,
- Member, Editorial Board for Medical Teacher, an international journal of
education in the health sciences, United Kingdom, 1999 -
- President of the Latvian Association of Endocrinologists, 1998 -
- Member, the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, 1997
- Member, American Diabetes Association, 1996-
- Esonomic Transition in Baltic Countries. ScanBalt Forum, Turku, Finland, 2004
- Antiplatelet Therapy in Diabetes. Symposium on Practical Diabetology (in
German), Wiesbaden, Germany 2003
- Ethical Aspects of the Latvian Genome Project. Council of Europe Seminar 'From
Genetics to Law', University of Tartu, Estonia 2003
- Current status of genetic research in Latvia. Inaugural workshop of COGENE programme
(funded by European Commission), Limassol, Cyprus; October 2002
- The Latvian experience of biobanks. Medicon Valley Bio Conference, Malmoe,
- Data protection in Latvian Genome Project. Central European University,
Budapest, Hungary; 2002
- Aims and Structure of the Latvian Genome Project. Medical faculty
"Charite" of the Humboldt University,
Berlin, Germany, 2002
- Correlation between dyslipidemia and hyperglycemia in diabetic patients. Invited
lecture. International Conference "Management of Hyperlipidemia - Relevance for
Baltic Countries" , 1998, Tallinn, Estonia
- Activation of platelet protein kinase C in response to hyperglycemia in vivo in
diabetic patients. Invited lecture. International Symposium "Endothelium
in Cardiovascular Disease", May 15-16, 1998, Tartu, Estonia
- Activation of Platelet Protein Kinase C-beta2 in Response to Acute Hyperglycemia in
Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. Karl-Oberdisse-Prize winner lecture, January 19,
- Molecular Pathogenesis of Diabetic Complications. Invited lecture.
Finnish-Baltic-Polish Postgraduate Course on Diabetes, Paernu, Estonia, June 4, 1996
- Endocrine Spells, EFES Postgraduate Course on Clinical Endocrinology, Barcelona, Spain,
- Management of Dyslipidemia, EFES Postgraduate Course on Clinical Endocrinology, Wroclaw,
- Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes (Undergraduate course), Medical Academy of Latvia
- Advanced Course in Diabetology (Postgraduate course), P.Stradins Clinical University
- Advanced Course on Thyroid, Parathyroid, Adrenal and Pituitary Diseases (Postgraduate
P.Stradins Clinical University Hospital, 1997
The Thyroid and Reproduction. Edited by J.Lazarus, V.Pirags, S.Butz - Georg
Thieme Verlag Stuttgart, New York, 2009, 174 pp..
V.Pirags, E.Grens. The Latvian Genome Project. - In: J.Sandor (ed.). Society and
Genetic Information. Codes and Laws in the Genetic Era. Budapest - New York, CPS
Books, Central European University Press, 2003, pp. 225-231
- Kalnina I, Kapa I, Pirags V, Ignatovica V, Scioth HB, Klovins J. Association between a
rare SNP in the second intron of human Agouti related protein gene and increased BMI. -
BMC Med Genet, 2009 Jul 14; 10: 63.
- Dormandy JABetteridge DJ, Schernthaner G, Pirags V, Norgren L. On behalf of the
PROactive investigators . Impact ofperipheral arterial disease in patients with diabetes -
Results from PROactive (PROactive 11). - Atherosclerosis, 2008, Mar 18.
- Sjakste, T., Kalis, M., Poudziunas I., Pirags, V., et al. Association of Microsatellite
Polymorfisms of the Human 14q13.2 region with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Latvian and
Finnish Populations. - Ann.Human Genetics, 2007, vol. 71, N 6, pp 772-776.
- Wiilcox R., Bousser M.G., Betteridge D.J., V.Pirags. Effects of pioglitazone in patients
with type 2 diabetes with or without previous stroke: results from PROactive (PROspective
pioglitAzone Clinical Trial In macroVasculat Events 04). - Stroke, 206,
vol. 38, n 3, pp. 865-873.
- V.Pirags. Nicotinamide and prevention of type 1 diabetes. - International Diabetes
Monitor, 2005, vol. 17, N 2, pp. 22-24.
- J.A.Dormandy, ..., V.Pirags, T.Podar, et al. Secondary prevention of macrovascular
events in patyients with type 2 diabetes: a randomised trial of pioglitazone. The
proactive study. - Lancet, 2005, 366 (9493), pp. 1279-1289.
- V.Pirags, N.Bricina, V.Dzerve, I.Eisaka. Screening for unknown diabetes in individuals
with increased cardiovascular risk in Latvia. - Baltic Journal of Endocrinology, 2005,
N 1, pp. 11-16.
- P. Tretjakovs, U. Kalnins, A. Jurka, S. 'Steina, R. Ritenberga, M. Marga, A. 'Stifts, V.
Pirags. Naftidrofuryl, a serotonin 5-HT2 receptor inhibitor, improves vasomotor responses
in diabetics with atherosclerosis. - Seminars in Cardiology 2004; vol. 10, N 2,
- T. Sjakste , J. Eglite , A. Sochnevs , M. Marga , V. Pirags , Y. Collan , N. Sjakste.
Microsatellite genotyping of Chromosome 14q13.2-14q13 in the vicinity of proteasomal gene
PSMA6 and association with Graves' disease in the Latvian population.- Immunogenetics,
2004, vol. 56, pp. 238-243
- U.Dumpis, A.Balode, D.Vlgante, I.Narbute, R.Valinteliene, V.Pirags, A.Martinsons,
I.Vingre. Prevalence of Nosocomial Infection in Two Latvian Hospitals. -
Eurosuveillance, 2003, vol.8, N 3, pp. 73-78
- P.Tretjakovs, A.Jurka, A.Stifts, V.Pirags. Alpha-lipoic acid therapy improves cutaneous
vasomotor responses in type 2 diabetic patients. - Proc. Latv. Acad. Sci., 2003,
vol. 57, N 6, pp. 209-214
- A.Jurka, G.Mazarevica, D.Tirzite, I.Krasnakova, P.Tretjakovs, V.Pirags. Erythrocyte
refractive index, erythrocyte membrane fluidity, and plasma antioxidant status in diabetic
patients. - Proc. Latv. Acad. Sci., 2002, vol. 56, N 6, pp. 232-237
- A.Stifts, P.Tretjakovs, A.Martinsons, A.Jurka, A.Petersons, A.Zvaigzne, V.Pirags. Both
microalbuminuria in diabetic patients and proteinuria in glomerulonephritic patients are
closely related to generalised microvascular abnormality. - Proc. Latv. Acad. Sci.,
2002, vol. 56, N 3, pp.103-108
- P.Tretjakovs, U.Kalnins, I.Dabina, A.Erglis, I.Dinne, A.Jurka, G.Latkovskis, A.Zvaigzne,
V.Pirags. Arachidonic acid metabolism and nitric oxide production in platelet membranes of
coronary artery disease patients with or lacking associated diabetes. - Proc. Latv.
Acad. Sci., 2002, vol. 56, N 3, pp. 109-113.
- V.Pirags, P.Tretjakovs, A.Jurka (2001). Effect of alpha-lipoic acid therapy on the
vasomotor response in NIDDM patients with diabetic peripheral neuropathy. - Jurnalul
Roman de Diabet, Nutritie si Boli Metabolice, 2001, 2 (suppl. 3), pp. 16-23
- A.Zvaigzne, A.Bumbure, P.Tretjakovs, A.Lejnieks, V.Pirags. Regulation of synthesis and
activity of protein kinase C beta-1 in platelets of diabetic patients after in vitro
incubation. - In: Protein Modules in Cellular Signalling. L.Heilmeyer,
P.Friedrich (Eds.). NATO Science Series, 2001, vol. 318, IOS Press, pp. 81-88.
- R.Assert, A.Bumbure, V.Pirags, H.Schatz, A.Pfeiffer. Regulation of Protein Kinase C by
Short Term Hyperglycemia in Human Platelets in vivo and in vitro. - Diabetologia,
2001, vol. 44, pp.188-195.
- M.Marga, A.Denisova, A.Sochnevs, V.Pirags, NF Farid (). Two HLA DRB1 Alleles Confer
Independent Genetic Susceptibility to Graves' disease: The Relevance of Cross-Population
Studies. - Am. J. Med. Genetics, 2001, vol.102, pp.188-191.
- A.Zvaigzne, P.Tretjakovs, V.Pirags. Increased Synthesis of Protein Kinase C-beta1 in
Platelets of Diabetic Patients During in vitro Incubation. - Proc. Latv. Acad. Sci.,
2000, vol 54, N3, pp.68-72.
- V.Pirags. Diabetes and Coronary Heart Disease. Review of Recent Consensus Documents. - The
Baltic Atherosclerosis Journal, 1999, vol. 1, pp. 39-42 (in Estonian, Latvian and
- V.Pirags , A.Bumbure , G.Bartling , H.Schatz , A.Pfeiffer. Hyperreagibility of PKC-beta
to different stimuli in platelets of type 2 diabetic patients. - Diabetes,
1998, vol. 47 (suppl 1), p. 441 (in English).
- V.Pirags, R. Assert, K. Haupt, H. Schatz, A. Pfeiffer. Activation of Human Platelet
Protein Kinase C-beta2 in vivo in Response to Acute Hyperglycemia. - Exp. Clin.
Endocrinol. Diabetes, 1996, vol. 104, pp. 431-440.
- V.Pirags (Head of State Programme in Medical Science). Multi-Disciplinary Research
Consortium on Major Pathologies Threatening the Life Expectancy and Quality of Life of the
Latvian Population . (2006-2009).
- V.Pirags ( Head of Latvian part of Project). ScanBalt COMPETENCE REGION - a model case
to enchance European competitiveness in life sciences, genomics and biotechnology for
health on a global scale. EU FP6 (2004-2006).
- V.Pirags ( Head of Latvian part of Project). ScanBalt Clinical Research Network. Nordic
InnovationCenter (NORDEN) (2005).
- V.Pirags (Head of Project). Molecular and Genetic Characteristics of the Nodular and
Autoimmune Thyroid Diseases in Latvia. Latvian Council of Science (2004 - ).
- V.Pirags (Co-Head of Latvian part of Project). Coordination of Genomes Research Across
Europe, QLG2-CT-2001-30173 COGENE. EU FP5 (2002-2003)
- V.Pirags (Head of Project). Alleles of the HLA DR, DQ and Other Genes Predispositional
to and Protective Against the Autoimmune Thyrotoxicosis (Graves'Disease)for the Patients
in Latvia. Latvian Council of Science (2001 -2003).
- V.Pirags (Head of Clinical part of Project). Relationship of the ProteinKinase C beta
Gene PRKCB1 to Diabetes mellitus. Latvian Council of Science (2000-2001).
- V.Pirags (Head of Clinical part of Project). Analysis of the Hypotalamic Melanocortin
System Gene Polymorphisms in Relationship to the Disorders of Human Energy Metabolism.
Latvian Council of Science (2000-2001).
- V.Pirags (Head of Project). Predisposing and Protective Gene Alleles in Patients with
Graves'Disease. Latvian Council of Science (1999-2001).
- V.Pirags (Head of Project). The Role of Protein Kinse C in the Pathogenesis of Diabetic
Long-Term Complications. Latvian Council of Science (1996-1999).
- V.Pirags (Head of Latvian part of project). Analysis of PKC Activity in the Human Blood
Cells. Volkswagen Stiftung (1996-1998).
Last update 10.11.2009