Born: February 5, 1936, Liepaja, Latvija
Latvian (native), English (good), Russian (good), German (passive)
- Heat and Mass Transfer
- Magnetic Fluids
MS (University Diploma in former USSR), University of Latvia (Faculty of Physics
and Mathematics), 1959
Ph.D. (Candidate of Sciences in former USSR), Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1967
Dr.Sci.(Doctor of Sciences in former USSR), Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1976
Professor (Heat and Mass Transfer), Supreme Attestation Commission of the USSR, 1983
Dr. habil. phys., Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1992
- Researcher, Institute of Physical Energetics, Latvian Academy of Sciences,
- Senior Researcher, Institute of Physic, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1968-1970
- Head of the Laboratory of Heat and Mass Transfer (during 1992-1997 called Laboratory of
Magnetic Fluids), Institute of Physics, Latvian Academy of Sciences (1970-1997) and of the
University of Latvia (since 1997), 1970-
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of
- Full Member, Academia Scientarum et Artium Europeae (Salzburg, Austria), 1991
- Full Member (Academician), Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1992
- Active Member, New-York Academy of Sciences, 1995
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences Fridrich Canders Awards, 1971
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences Presidium Prizes, 1976, 1982, 1992
- Award of the Council of Ministers of Latvia, 1985
- Honorary Title on Merits in Science, the Presidium of Supreme State Council of Latvia,
- Special Prize of Soros Foundation, 1993
- Diploma in honor of an Outstanding Contribution to Science and Higher
Education, (included in 2000 Outstanding People of the 20th Century), International
Biographical Center, Cambridge, England, 1998
- The Alexander von Humbolt Research Award, FRG, 1999
- The Joint Prize of Latvian Academy of Sciences and Public Stock Company
- The Grand Medal of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, 2005
Main Research Activities
basic and applied problems of heat and mass transfer in multi-component systems
(including capillary-porous media)
mass transfer in electrochemistry
physical properties of magnetic nanoparticles and colloids
transport properties and thermomagnetic and diffusion-driven convection in ferrocolloids
high gradient magnetic separation in colloids and in biologic suspensions
magnetic fluid technology, engineering problems of magnetic fluids.
Author of more than 320 scientific works: including five textbooks
(monographs), one handbook (international project), two popular books, three edited books
of conference proceedings, five USSR author certificates and about 185 review articles and
contributed papers in internationally recognised journals and edited books. Supervisor of
11 doctoral works.
International Scientific Contacts and Collaboration:
Visiting Professor: Ludwig-Maximmilians Universität
München (1993), Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris (1994)
- Research Visits: Chalmers Institute of Technology, Stockholm
(1974), Clarkson University, USA (1990, 1992), Göteborg University (1996), Universität
Wuppertal (1996), Université Paris-VI (1997), Universität Bremen (1997-2004), Technische
Universität Dresden (2006)
- Visits and lectures: universities in USA (1980, 1984,
1988, 1990, 1992), England (1981), Germany (1992, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000), Japan
(1986, 1991, 1997), France (1997), Norway (1998,2000)
- Research Agreements: universities in Germany (1999-2001),
Sweden (1996), Norway (1999-2001), company "Ferrotec-USA" (since 2001,
E. Blums, A. Cebers, M. M. Maiorov, Magnetic Fluids, Walter de Gryuter &
Co., Berlin - New York, 1997, 416 p.
- Magnetic Fluids and Applications Handbook, UNESCO Series of Learning Materials, Eds. B.
Berkovsky (Editor in Chef), V. Bashtovoy, E. Blums, V. Cabuil, S. Kamiyama, R. Massart, K.
Nakatsuka, K. Raj, R. Rosensweig, Begell House Inc., New York-Wallingsford, 1996, 831 p.
- Advances in Engineering Heat Transfer, Eds. B. Sunden, E. Blums, A. Zukauskas,
Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton-Boston, 1995, 694 p.
- Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Magnetic Fluids, September 18-22,
Riga, 1989, editors: E. Blums, V. V. Gogosov, S. W. Charles, R. E. Rosensweig, J. Magn.
and Magn. Materials, 1990, vol.85, No. 1-3, 385 p.
- J. Blums, M. M. Maiorov, A. O Cebers, Magnetic Fluids, Zinatne, Riga, 1989, 386 p. (in
- E. Blums, Yu. A. Mikhailov, R. Ozols. Heat and Mass Transfer in MHD Flows, World
Scientific, Singapore, 1987, 512 p.
- E. J. Blums, Yu. A. Mikhailov, R. J. Ozols, Heat and Mass Transfer in the Presence of a
Magnetic Field, Zinatne, Riga, 1980, 356 p. (in Russian)
- E. J. Blums, M. V. Zake, U. I. Ivanov, Yu. A. Mikhailov, Heat and Mass transfer in the
Presence of an Electromagnetic Field, Zinatne, Riga, 1967, 236 p. (in Russian)
- Latvijas Zinatnu akademijas akademikis Elmars Blums, Bibliografija, LU
Akademiskais apgads, Riga, 2011, Sast. D. Ivbule, I. Barone, 184 p.
- E.Blums, S.Odenbach. Dynamics of thermodiffusive separation of ferrofluids in vertical
columns: the effect of solute buoyancy. Magnetohydrodynamics, 2001, vol.37,
No 1/2, pp.187-194.
- T.Voelker, E.Blums, S.Odenbach. Thermodiffusive processes in ferrofluids. Magnetohydrodynamics,
2001, vol.37, No 3, pp.274-278.
- E. Blums, S. Odenbach, A. Mezulis, M. Maiorov. Soret Coefficient of Nanoparticles in
Ferrofluids in the Presence of a Magnetic Field. - Physics of Fluids, 1998,
vol.10, 9, pp.2155-2163.
- E. Blums, A. Mezulis, M. Maiorov, G. Kronkalns. Thermal Diffusion of Magnetic
Nanoparticles in Ferrocolloids: Experiments on Particle Separation in Vertical Columns,
J. Magn. and Magn. Materials, 1997,vol.169, pp.220-228.
- G. Kronkalns, M. Maiorov, E. Blums. Preparation and Properties of Temperature-Sensitive
Magnetic Fluids, Magnetohydrodynamics, 1997, vol.33, 1, pp. 92-96.
- E. Blums. Some New Problems of Complex Thermomagnetic and Diffusion Driven Convection in
Magnetic Colloids, J. Magn. and Magn. Materials, 1995, vol.149, 1-2, pp.111-115.
- E. Blums, M. M. Maiorov, G. Kronkalns. Thermomagnetic Properties of Ferrofluids
Containing Chemically Coprecipitated Mn-Zn Ferrite Particles, IEEE Trans. Magn.,
1993, vol.29, 6, pp.3267-3269.
- E. Blums, A. Yu. Chukhrov. Separation Processes in Polydisperse Magnetic Fluids. - J.
Magn. and Magn. Materials, 1993, vol.122, pp.110-114.
- E. Blums, A. Yu. Chukhrov, A. Rimsa. Some Problems of Sub-Micron Particle Transfer near
the Filter Element at High-Gradient Magnetic Separation. - Int. J. Heat and Mass
Transfer, 1987, vol.30, 8, pp.1607-1613.
- A. Yu. Plavins, E. J. Blums, Magnetic Properties and Para-and Diamagnetic Phoresis of
Blood Cells at High-Gradient magnetic Separation. - Magnetohydrodynamics, 1983, 4,
pp. 3-8 (in Russian)
- E. J. Blums, Yu. A. Mikhailov. Experimental Study of Heat and Mass transfer in Turbulent
MHD-Flows. - Proc. 5th International Heat Transfer Conference, Tokyo, Japan, 1974,
TC7.5, pp. 289-293.
- E.Blums, S.Odenbach. Thermophoretic separation of ultrafine particles in ferrofluids in
thermal diffusion column under the effect of a MHD convection. - Int. J. Heat and Mass
Transfer, 2000, vol.43, No 9, pp.1637-1649.
- E. Blums , S. Odenbach , T.Völker . Thermodiffusive Processes in Ferrofluids. - Magnetohydrodynamics,
2001, vol. 37, N 3, pp. 274-278 .
- E. Blums , S. Odenbach. Dynamics of Thermodiffusive Separation of Ferrofluids in
Vertical Columns: the Effect of Solute Buoyancy. - Magnetohydrodynamics, 2001,
vol. 37, N 1/2, pp. 187-194.
- E. Blums. Heat and Mass Transfer Phenomena.- In: Lecture Notes in Physics, vol. 594,
Ferrofluids: Magnetically Controllable Liqiuds and Applications (Ed. S. Odenbach),
Berlin- Heidelberg: Springer, 2002, pp. 124-139.
- E. Blums, A. Mezulis, N. Buske, M. Maiorov. Thermophoretic Separation of a
Ferrofluid-Water Emulsion: Preliminary Experiments. - J. Magn. Magn. Materials,
2002, vol.252, pp. 215-217.
- E. Blums. Heat and Mass Transfer Phenomena. - J. Magn. Magn. Materials, 2002,
vol.252, pp. 189-193.
- A.Mezulis, M. Maiorov, E. Blums. Transport Properties of an Ionic Magnetic Colloid:
Experimental Study of Increasing the Ionic Strength. - J. Magn. Magn. Materials,
2002, vol.252, pp. 221-223.
- E. Blums. Thermodiffusive Separation of Ferrofluids in Vertical Column under the Effect
of a Combined Thermal and Soret Driven Convection. - Magnetohydrodynamics, 2002,
vol.38, 3, pp.253-264.
- T.Völker, E.Blums, S.Odenbach, Thermodiffusion in Magnetic Fluids. - J. Magn. Magn.
Materials, 2002, vol.252, pp.218-220.
- E. Blums. Magnetic Soret Effect in Ferrofluids: Experimental Results and New Problems. -
Magnetohydrodynamics, 2003, vol.39, No.3, pp.351 358.
- Mezulis, E. Blums. Two-Dimensional Determining of the Transport Coefficients under an
Applied Magnetic Field. - Magnetohydrodynamics, 2003, vol.39, No 3, pp. 367 - 374.
- E. Blums. Separation of Ferrocolloids in Thermodiffusion Column under the Combined
Action of Thermal and Solute Buoyancy. - In: Advances in Heat Transfer Engineering,
(Proc. 4th Baltic Heat Transfer Conference, August 25 27, 2003), Eds. B.
Sunden, J. Vilemas. Begell House, Inc (New York) and Lithuanian Energy Institute (Kaunas),
2003, pp. 491 498.
- Mezulis, E. Blums. Optical Studies of the Thermodiffusion in Ferrocolloids under Applied
Magnetic Field. - In: Advances in Heat Transfer Engineering, (Proc. 4th Baltic
Heat Transfer Conference, August 25 27, 2003), Eds. B. Sunden, J. Vilemas.
Begell House, Inc (New York) and Lithuanian Energy Institute (Kaunas), 2003, pp. 805
- G. Kronkalns, M.Maiorov, E. Blums. Temperature-Sensitive Ferrofluids for Thermomagnetic
Cooling Devices. - In: Advances in Heat Transfer Engineering, (Proc. 4th Baltic
Heat Transfer Conference, August 25 27, 2003), Eds. B. Sunden, J. Vilemas.
Begell House, Inc (New York) and Lithuanian Energy Institute (Kaunas), 2003, pp. 247
- T. Voelker, E. Blums, S. Odenbach. Determination of the Soret coefficient of magnetic
particles in a ferrofluid from the steady and unsteady part of the separation curve. - International
J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, September 2004, vol.47, Issues 19-20, pp. 4315-4325
- E. Blums. New problems of particle transfer in Ferrocolloids: Soret effect and
thermoosmosis. - The European Physical Journal E - Soft Matter, November 2004,
vol.15, No.3, pp. 271-276.
- E.Blums. New transport properties of Ferrocolloids: Magnetic Soret Effect and
Thermomagnetoosmosis. - J. Magn. Magn. Materials, 2005, vol.289, pp.246-249.
- E.Blums, G.Kronkalns, M.M.Maiorov, A.Mezulis. Thermoosmotic transfer of sterically
stabilized Ferrofluid particles in nonisothermal capillary porous layer. - J. Magn.
Magn. Materials, 2005, vol.289, pp.275-277.
- A.Mezulis, E.Blums. The presence of microconvective instability in optically induced
gratings. - j. Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics, 2007, vol. 32, p. 331-340.
- Th. Volker, E.Blums, S.Odenbach. heat and mass Phenomema in Magnetic Fluids. -
GAMM-Mitteilungen, 2007, vol. 30, N 1, pp. 185-194.
- D.Zablotsky, V.Frishfelds, E.Blums.Investigation of heat transfer efficiency of
thermomagnetic convection in ferrofluids, Magnetohydrodynamics,2009, vol. 45, N 3, pp.
- D.Zablotsky, A. Mezulis, E. Blums. Surface cooling based on the thermomagnetic
convection: Numerical simulation and experiment.Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer., 2009, vol.52,
N 23-24 pp.5302-5308.
- A. Zablotskaya, I. Segal, E. Lukevics, M.Maiorov, D.Zablotsky, E. Blums, I. Shestakova,
I.Domracheva. Water-Soluble Magnetic Nanoparticles With Biologically Active
Stabilizers,JMMM, - Vol.321N 10 (2009), 1428-1432, Doi Information:10.1016/J.Jmmm.
- M. M. Maiorov, E. Blums, K. Raj, Inverse task for evaluation of particle size
distribution of polydisperse magnetic fluids, Physics Procedia, 2010, 9,
- E. Blums, G. Kronkalns, A. Mezulis, V. Sints, Non-isothermal mass transfer of
ferrocolloids through porous membrane, J. Magn. Magn. Mat. 2011, 323, pp.1334-1337.
- D. Zablotsky, E. Blums, Numerical investigation of optically induced microconvection in
thin ferrofluid layers, J. Magn. Magn. Mat. 2011, 323, 1338-1342.
- D. Zablotsky, E. Blums, Relaxation mechanisms of photoinduced periodic microstructures
in ferrofuid layers, Phys. Rev, E, 2011, 84, 6, art. no. 066305.
- D. Zablotsky, E. Blums, Magnetically driven microconvective instability of optically
induced concentration grating in ferrofluids, August 2011 issue of Phys. Rev. E, 2011,
84, 2, paper No. 026319.
- G.Kronkalns, M. M. Maiorov, E. Blums, Heating of magnetic fluids by a low frequency
alternating magnetic field, Magnetohydrodynamics, 2011, 47, 3, pp.249-264.
- M. Sivakumar, A. Towata, K. Yasui, T. Tuziuti, T. Kozuka, Y. Iida, M. M. Maiorov, E.
Blums, D. Bhattacharya, N. Sivakumar, M. Ashok, Ultrasonic cavitation induced water in
vegetable oil emulsion droplets A simple and easy technique to synthesize manganese
zinc ferrite nanocrystals with improved magnetization. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry,
2012, 19 (3), 652-658.
- Mezulis, D. Zablotsky, E. Blums, Dynamics of concentration profiles of nano-sized
magnetic particles in a non-uniform magnetic field. Magnetohydrodynamics, 2012, 48,
2, pp. 445-450.
- E. Blums, A. Mezulis, G. Kronkalns, V. Sints,Transport of nanoparticles through
non-isothermal ferrofluid layer with permeable walls.Magnetohydrodynamics, 2012,
48, 2,pp. 451-458.
- New Method of Spectral Distribution Analysis of Physical Parameters of Polydisperse
Nanocomposites. Project supported by EU Foundation of Reconstruction and Development,
2011/0001/2DP/22.214.171.124.0/10/APIA/VIAA/007, Ministry of
Science and Education of Latvia, (2011-2013)
- E.Blums (supervisor). Part 4.3 of the Project Nr.4 New Materials and Technologies of
Assessments and Replacements of Tissues, Latvian State research Program Nr.2 Development
of Technologies and Innovative Multifunctional Materials, Signal Processing and
Informatics for Competitive Products, Ministry of Science and Education of Latvia
- E.Blums (supervisor). Particle Transfer, Thermal Properties and Converction in Ferrite
Nanodispersions under the Effect of a Nonuniform and Unsteady Magnetic Field, part 2 of
the Collaboration project Development of Research and technology Potential for Elaboration
of new and Nanostructured Materials and Related Applications, Projekt Nr.10.0032, Latvian Council of Science
- E.Blums (supervisor). Physical Properties of Lyophilized Magnetic Nanoparticles and
Transport Phenomena in Sterically Stabilised Ferrocolloids, part Nr. 3 of the Project Nr.
09.1590, Latvian Council of Science (2010-2012)
- E.Blums (supervisor). Physical Properties of Lyophilized Magnetic Nanoparticles and
Transport Phenomena in Sterically Stabilised Ferrocolloids, Latvian
Council of Science, Project Nr. 09.1023 (2009)
- E.Blums (supervisor).Ferrite Nanoparticles and Colloids for Thermomagnetic Cooling
Systems and for Hyperthermia of Tissue, Project supported by EU Foundation of
Reconstruction and development VPD 2.5.1 Nr. 002, Ministry of Science and Education of
- E.Blums (supervisor). Thermomagnetic Nanocolloids for Cooling Devices in
Microelectronics, Part 3.5.4 of the Project Nr. 3.5 Nanoparticles, Nanostructured
materials and Thin Films for Functional Materials and Composites, The Latvian State
research Program Nr.3 Development of Advanced Functional materials for Microelectronics,
Nanoelectronics, Photonics, Biomedicine and Constructive Composites, Ministry of Science
and Education of Latvia (2005-2009)
- E.Blums (supervisor). Diffusive and Convective Transfer of Nanoparticles in
Non-isothermal Ferocolloids and Capillary-porous Media. Latvian
Council of Science (2005 -2009)
- E.Blums (supervisor). Transport Properties and convection in Ferroocolloids Under
Thermal, Optical and Magnetic Stratifications. Latvian
Council of Science (2001 - 2004)
- E.Blums (supervisor). Thermophoresis of Ultra-Small Particles and Complex Heat and Mass
Transfer Phenomena in Temperature-Sensitive Magnetic Colloids. Latvian Council of Science (1997-2000)
- E.Blums (Head of the Latvian Part of Project). Thermodiffusive Transport in Ferrofluids.
Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, FRG (1996-1998)
- E.Blums (Head of the Latvian Part of Project). Thermomagnetic Properties of Complex
Ferrite Based Ferrofluids. Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences, Sweden (1996)
- E.Blums (supervisor). Complex Ferrite Based Ferrofluids: Physical Properties and
Convection Phenomena. Latvian Council of Science (1994-1996)
- E.Blums (supervisor). Thermomagnetic Properties of Nanoparticles and High-Gradient
magnetic Separation of Temperature-Sensitive Ferrofluids in Thermal Diffusion Column.
International Science Foundation, USA (1994-1995)
- E.Blums, Personal Grant. Magnetic Convection and Heat and Mass Transfer in Ferrofluids.
Commission of the European Communities, European Union (1993)
- E.Blums (supervisor). High-Gradient Magnetic Separation in Polydisperse Systems and
Stability of Temperature-Sensitive Magnetic Fluids. Latvian Council of Science (1991-1993)
- E.Blums (Supervisor of the Latvian side). Preparation and Properties of Magnetic
Liquids. Collaboration Agreement between University of Pierre and Marie Curie
(France) and Institute of Physics (Latvia), supported by grants for visits of researchers
and Ph.D. students, 1992-
Avocations: choral singing, classical music
Last update 14.08.2012