||Dr.biol. Andris ANDRUSHAITIS
Institute of Aquatic Ecology,
8 Daugavgrivas Str., Riga, LV 1007
Phone/ Fax: +371 9345412
5-2 Dammes street,
Riga, LV-1069, Latvia
Phone: +371 7429711
Born: April 18, 1956, Latvia.
Functioning of aquatic ecosystems
Ecological physiology of marine microzooplankton,
Implementation of ecosystem quality criteria in
In 1978 - 1981 developed technical methodology
for eco-toxicological experiments. Since 1980 specialised in studies of micro-zooplankton
structure and eco-physiology. Since 1988 involved in studies of production and
liberalization of organic matter and nutrient turnover in marine ecosystems.
Languages: Latvian, English and Russian (German, French).
- University of Latvia (Faculty of Biology,
speciality: Biologist and teacher of biology and chemistry), 1979
- Doctorate student at Shirshov's Institute of
Oceanology, USSR Academy of Sciences (Moscow), 1983-1987
- Dr.biol. (Candidate of Science in former USSR
system, Ph.D. in Western countries), Shirshov's Institute of Oceanology,
USSR Academy of Sciences, 1987
Thesis: "Microzooplankton as a
component of coastal plankton communities in the Baltic
- Deputy Director, Institute of Aquatic
Ecology, University of Latvia, 2003 -
- Assistant Coordinator (AC1C) Baltic Sea Regional
Project (HELCOM), 2003 -
Professor (aquatic ecology, hydrobiology), University of Latvia, 2001 -
- Drector and Senior Researcher, Institute of
Aquatic Ecology, University of Latvia, 1995-2003
- Senior Assistant, Junior Reasercher, Researcher,
Senior Researcher, Laboratory of Marine Biology, Institute of Biology, Latvian
Academy of Sciences, 1978-1995
- Fisheries College, Tromsoe University, Norway,
NorFA fellowship, 1993
- Marine Biological Laboratory, Copenhagen
University, Denmark, NorFA fellowship, 1995, 1997
Honours and Awards
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences, joint stock company "ITERA-LATVIA" and the
Education Foundation of Latvia Prize, 2003
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Alternating Representative from Latvia at ICES
Advisory Committee on the Marine Environment, (ACME, since 1994); appointed as a member of
newly established ICES Advisory Committee on Ecosystems (ACE, since 2001);
- Observer from Baltic Marine Biologists (BMB) at
HELCOM EC - NATURE 1996;
- Expert on Marine and Coastal Biological Diversity,
UN Convention for Protection of Biological Diversity, participant of the 1st meeting of
experts, Jakarta, March 1997;
- Co-chairmen of Baltic Commission of Marine
Research (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania), from 1996;
- Panel member of science experts for Latvian
National Representative of UNESCO, since 1998;
- Member of the Baltic Marine Biologists (BMB)
Committee, member of BMB's Strategic WG, from 1997;
- Programme Committee member (representative of
Latvia), EC DG Research, 5th Framework Programme, Environment, Energy &
Sustainable Development Programme ;
- Programme Committee member (representative
of Latvia), EC DG Research, 6th Framework Programme, Environment, Energy &
Sustainable Development Programme
University of Latvia (Lecturer
- Marine Ecosystems
- Biological Oceanography
- Productivity of Aquatic Systems
- Nutrient loads from drainage basin and coastal
eutrophycation (intense intl. Ph.d. course, NorFA, 1990)
- J.Aigars Distribution of biologically
available Si in the sediments of the Gulf of Riga" (M.sc.),1995
- E.Shmite "Distribution of phytoplankton
pigments in the Gulf of Riga" (M.sc.), 1996
- Z.Dekere Ecological physiology of
filamentous macroalgae in the Gulf of Riga (M.sc.), 1999
- S.Bekere Terrestrial dissolved organic
nitrogen (DON) as an N source for marine heterotrophic bacteria (Ph.D., co-adviser:
S.Maesrtini, France), 1999 -
- I.Purina Role of dissolved organic matter
(DOM) in development and toxicity of marine planktonic cyanobacteria (Ph.D.,
co-adviser: S.Maestrini, France), 1999 -
- G.Aispure Dynamics of Limnocalanus
macrurus in the Gulf of Riga (M.sc.), 2002
- S.Sprice Impact of biotic and abiotic
factors in distribution of dominating marine macro-zoobenthos species of the Gulf of
Riga (M.sc.), 2002.
Recent / Representative Publications
- Andrushaitis A. (1990) Distribution of
micro-zooplankton in the central part of the Baltic Sea, August, 1982. -In:
Proceedings of the Third Soviet - Swedish Symposium on Marine Biology, Riga, November
1985, 28 p.
- Andrushaitis A., Laganovska R. (1990)
Comparison of two methods for sampling small zooplankton. -In: Proceedings of the Third
Soviet -Swedish Symposium on Marine Biology, Riga, November 1985, 4p.
- Andrushaitis A. (1990) Reproduction rate in
the most abundant ciliate species of the Gulf of Riga.- In: Protozoology, vol. 13,
p.17-25 (in Russian).
- Andrushaitis G., Andrushaitis A., Bitenieks
J., et al. (1992) Balance of organic carbon of the Gulf of Riga. -In: Proceedings of
the 17 Conference of Baltic Oceanographers, Norrkoping,1990, Norrkoping: SMHI, 12p
- Andrushaitis A., Balode M., Lagzdins G. (1992)
Eutrophication of the Gulf of Riga. - In: Symposium on Measurement of Primary
Production from the Molecular to the Global Scale. Paper and poster abstracts, Copenhagen:
ICES, pp. 23-24.
- Wassmann P., Andrushaitis A. (1993)
Overgjodsling av Ostersjon og Riga-bukten [Over nutrition of the Baltic Sea and the Gulf
of Riga], - Naturen, N 5, pp. 205-213 (in Norvegian).
- Yurkovskis A., Wulff F., Rahm L., Andrushaitis
A., Rodrigues-Medina M. (1993) A nutrient budget of the Gulf of Riga; Baltic sea.
- Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, vol.37, pp. 113-127.
- Aigars J., Andrushaitis A. (1993) Nutrient
transport through water-sediment interface in the Gulf of Riga.- Proceedings of the
Latvian Academy of Sciences, Part B, N 10, pp. 73-77.
- Andrushaitis A., Seisuma Z., Legzdina M.,
Lenshs E. (1995) River load of eutrophying substances and heavy metals into the Gulf of
Riga. -In.: E. Ojaveer (Ed.)Ecosystem of the Gulf of Gulf of Riga between 1920 and
1990, Estonian Academy Publishers: Tallinn, pp 32-40.
- Andrushaitis. A. (1996) Nutrient load and the
trophic status of the Gulf of Riga, Baltic Sea. -In: A.Brooks, W.Bell and J.Reer
(Eds.) Our Coastal Seas. What is Their Future?, Maryland Sea Grant Publication,
College Park, MD, pp. 64-65.
- Andrushaitis, A. (ed.)(1996) Proceedings of
13th Symposium of Baltic Marine Biologists, Riga, 260 p.
- Olesen,M., A.Andrushaitis (1999) Primary
production, community respiration and sedimentation in the Kategat and the Gulf of Riga: a
comparative analysis of two stratified brackish systems. - 16th Baltic
Marine Biologists Symposium, Klaipeda, June 21-26, 1999, Klaipeda University, p.29.
- Olesen, M., C.Lundsgaard, A.Andrushaitis (1999),
Influence of nutrients and mixing on the primary production and community respiration in
the Gulf of Riga. - Journal of Marine Systems, 23 (1-3) (1999) pp. 127-143
- Wasmund, N., G.Nausch,
al.(2000) Trophic status of coastal and open areas of the south-eastern Baltic sea based
on nutrient and phytoplankton data from 1993-1997. -In: Meereswissenschaftilche
Berichte, N 38, Institut für Ostseeforschung, Warnemünde, 83p.
- Andrushaitis, A., E.Ojaveer, A.Yurkovskis,
G.Martin (submitted) Introduction to the Gulf of Riga and environmental setting. -
Ambio, Special report, November, 2000
- Conley, D.J., A.Andrushaitis, P.Stalnacke,
A.Yurkovskis, M.Balode, G.Martin (submitted) The state of the Gulf of Riga ecosystem. -
Ambio, Special report, November, 2000
- Wasmund, N., A.Andrushaitis,
E.Lysiak-Pastuszak, B.Mueller-Karulis et al.(2001) Trophyc status of the south-eastern
Baltic Sea: a comparison of coastal and open areas. - Estuarine, Coastal, and Shelf
Sci., vol. 53, N 6, pp. 849-864.
- Andrushaitis, A. (Ed. and project
coordinator), (2001) Baltic Sea Environment Hot Spot No.37: Gulf of Riga
Environmental Management. - STATE ASSESSMENT, Latvian Helcom office/Institute
of Aquatic Ecology, University of Latvia, 52 p.
- Coffin R.B., A.Andrushaitis, T.J.Boyd (2001)
Analysis of PAH distribution and source variation in Karaostas Canal, Liepaja, Latvia.
- Proceedings Fifth International Symposium & Exhibition on Environmental
Contamination in Central & Eastern Europe, 12-14 September 2000, Prague, Czech
- Kostrichkina, Ye., A.Andrushaitis (2002) The
Gulf of Riga: Productivity. - In: Fourth Periodic Assessment of the State of the Marine
Environment of the Baltic Sea, 1994-1998, Baltic Sea Environmental Proceedings, HELCOM,
- Pöder T., Maestrini S., Balode M., Lips U., Bechemin Ch., Andrushaitis A., Purina
I. The role of inorganic and organic nutrients on the development of phytoplankton along
the transect from the Daugava River mouth to the Open Baltic, in spring and summer 1999. -
ICES Journal of Martine Sciences, 2003, vol. 60, pp.827-835.
- Ojaveer H., Andrushaitis A. Hystory of the ecosystem studies of the Gulf of Riga. -
Proc.Estonian Acad.Sci.Biol.Ecol., 2004, pp. 116-143.
- M. Olesen, S.Strake, A.Andrushaitis. Egestion of non-pellet-bound fecal material
from the copepod Acartia tonsa: implication for vertical flux and degradation. - Marine
Ecology Progress Series, 2005, vol. 293, pp. 131-142.
Significant International Conferences
- Andrushaitis G., Andrushaitis A., Yurkovska V.
Studies of the production-mineralization processes on the hetherotrophic plankton level in
the coastal zone of the Baltic Sea. 3rd Congress of Soviet Oceanographers, Leningrad,
- Andrushaitis G., Andrushaitis A., Bitenieks J.et
al. Balance of organic carbon of the Gulf of Riga. The 17.Conference of Baltic
Oceanographers, Norkoping, Sweden,1990.
- Ritinsh Yu., Laskhovs A., Andrushaitis A.
Sea-related problems in Riga. - First Baltic Cities Workshop on Environment and Health,
Turku, Finland, 1991.
- Andrushaitis A., Balode M., Priede S.
Eutrophication of the Gulf of Riga. -Symposium on Measurement of Primary Production
from the molecular to the Global Scale, La Rochelle, France, 1992.
- Andrushaitis A., Priede S., Filmanovicha R.
Diurnal dynamics of primary production in the southern part of the Gulf of Riga. The
13th Symposium of Baltic Marine Biologists Symposium, Riga, 1993.
- Andrushaitis A., Filmanovicha R., Priede S.
Nutrient diurnal dynamics in the Southern part of the Gulf of Riga, Baltic Sea. An
approach to nutrient limitation problem. International Symposium on Nutrient Dynamics, Helsingoer,
- Andrushaitis A., Andrushaitis G., Balode
M., Kahru M., Filmanovicha R., Lagzdinsh G. Nutrient load and trophyc status of the Gulf
of Riga, Baltic Sea. International Conference "Environmental Management of
Enclosed Coastal Seas", Baltimore, USA, 1993.
- Andruaitis A., Andruaitis G.,
Skujin J. Productivity and eutrophycation of the Gulf of Riga, Baltic Sea. XII
International Symposium on Environmental Biogeochemistry "Biosphere and Atmosperic
Changes", Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 3-8 September, 1995.
- Andrushaitis A. Total plankton productivity and
export production of the Gulf of Riga. The Gulf of Riga Project Symposium, Jurmala,
Latvia, June 1998
- M.Olesen, A.Andrushaitis Primary
production, community respiration and sedimentation in the kategat and the Gulf of Riga: a
comparative analysis of two stratified brackish systems. 16th baltic Marine
Biologists Symposium, Klaipeda, Lithuania, June 21-26, 1999
- Coffin,R.B., A.Andrushaitis, T.J.Boyd Analysis of
PAH distribution and source variation in Karaostas Canal, Liepaja, Latvia. Fifth
International Symposium & Exibition on Environmental Contamination in Central &
Eastern Europe, 12-14 September 2000, Prague, Czech Republic.
- T.Poder, S.Y.Maestrini, M.Balode, U.Lips,
C.Bechemin, A.Andrushaitis, I.purina. The role of inorganic and organic nutrients on the
development of phytoplankton along a transect from the Daugava River mouth to the Open
Baltic, in spring and summer 1999. - ICES Journal of Marine Science, 2003, vol.
60, pp. 827-835.
Married, 4 children:
wife - Solveiga Priede: purchasing manager at Oriola Latvia Ltd., suppliers of medical and
son - Jekabs Andrushaitis (1978): project manager/C programmer at Konts Ltd., student
of computer science at University of Latvia;
daughter - Ieva Andrushaite (1979): local unit manager at Latvijas Unibanka A/S, student
Latvian University of Latvia;
daughter - Anna (1992);
son - Peteris (1994)
Last update 30.10.2007