Born: April 21, 1941, Jelgava, Latvia
- Organic Chemistry
- Methods of Organic Synthesis
- Ionic Liquids
- Heterocyclic compounds
Methods of organic synthesis.Ionic liquids. Chemistry of heterocyclic compounds.
Languages: Latvian, English, Russian, French..
- Riga Technical University (Faculty of Chemistry), 1964
- Dr.chem. (Candidate of Science in former USSR, Ph.D. in Western countries), Riga
Technical University, 1969
- Dr.habil.chem. (Doctor of Science in former USSR, D.Sc. in Western countries), Moscow
Institute of Fine Chemical Technology, 1989.
- Leader of the Laboratory of Organic Synthesis, Plant of Chemical Reagents, Olaine,
- Associate Professor, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Latvia, 1975-1979
Research and Production Company “Biolar”, Latvia -
- Head of the Laboratory of Ion Exchange Resins, 1979-1985
- Deputy Director (research and development), 1985-1990
University of Latvia, Faculty of
- Professor, 1990-
- Dean, 1995- 2003
Honours and Awards
- Full Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 2007
- Corresponding Member, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1998
- Latvian SSR State Prize, 1982.
- The Latvian Academy of Sciences Gustavs Vanags Prize for series of works " Organic
synthesis in coherence with untraditional materials", 2007
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Member (1990- ), and Chairman (1997- ) of the Council of Habilitation and Promotion (in
Chemistry), University of Latvia.
- Member, Latvian Council of Science (2003 - 2013).
- Latvian Council of Science, Expert Committee for
Chemistry, Member (2007 - ), Chairman (2003 - 2007).
- European Federation of Catalysis Societies (EFCATS), Representative of the Republic of
Latvia (1998 - ).
- COST Actions CM0905 and CM1206 - representative of Latvia in the Management Committee
(2010 - 2017).
- Polymer-bound Crown Ethers. Invited lecture. Gordon Research Conference “Reactive
Polymers, Ion Exchangers and Adsorbents”, July 31 - August 4, 1989, New Port, Rhode
- Ionic Liquids in Organic Synthesis. Invited lecture. University of Bologne, April 20-21,
2011, Bologne, Italy.
- Paul Walden and ionic liquids in Latvia. Invited lecture. Molten Salts and Ionic Liquids
XXV, July 6-11, 2014, Tallinn, Estonia.
University of Latvia:
- Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds, 2000 -
- Spectroscopy of Organic Compounds, 1990 -
- Organic Chemistry (for undergraduate students), 1990 -
- Organic Chemistry (for post-graduate students), 1996 -
- Methods of Organic Synthesis (for undergraduate students), 1992 -
- Methods of Organic Synthesis (for post-graduate students), 1996 -
334 (including 54 patents)
- S. Brica, M. Klavins, A. Zicmanis. Unsubstituted - Alkyl Aspartates as Highly
Biodegradable and Almost Nontoxic Surfactants. Green and Sustainable Chemistry 2016,
6, No 3, pp. 125-135.
- S. Brica, M. Klavins, A. Zicmanis. A route to simple nonionic surfactants. Cogent
Chemistry 2016, 2, pp. 1-4.
- E. Priede, S. Brica, E. Bakis, N. Udris, A. Zicmanis. Ionic liquids as solvents
for the Knoevenagel condensation: understanding the role of solvent-solute interactions. New
J. Chem. 2015, 39, pp. 9132-9142.
- E. Priede, S. Brica, N. Udris, A. Zicmanis. Designing highly efficient solvents
for the Knoevenagel condensation: two novel dicationic dimethyl phosphate ionic liquids. Arkivoc
2015, No 7, pp. 243-252.
- E. Priede, A. Zicmanis. One-Pot Three-Component Synthesis of Hantzsch
1,4-Dihydropyridines Promoted by Dimethyl Phosphate Ionic Liquids. Helvetica Chimica
Acta 2015, 98, Issue 8, pp. 1095-1103.
- E. Priede, E. Bakis, A. Zicmanis. When chlorides are the most reactive: a simple
route towards diverse mono- and dicationic dimethyl phosphate ionic liquids. Synlett, 2014,
- E. Priede, I. Nakurte, A. Zicmanis. Structure effect of imidazolium-based
dicationic ionic liquids on Claisen rearrangement. Synthetic Communications 2014,
44, pp. 1803-1809.
- A. Zicmanis, L. Anteina. Dialkylimidazolium dimethyl phosphates as solvents and
catalysts for the Knoevenagel condensation reaction. Tetrahedron Letters 2014,
55, No 12, pp. 2027-2028.
Recent Research Projects
- (Leading Researcher of the Project). Synthesis and Investigation of Polymer Membranes
and Ionic Liquids with Lithium Salts. Latvian Council of Science (2014 - 2017).
- (Leader of the Project). Biodegradable Ionic Liquids of Low Toxicity. Eureka
project (2012 - 2013).
- (Leader of the Project). Conversions of Ambident Anions in Ionic Liquid Media. Latvian
Council of Science (2005 - 2009).
Last update 12.05.2017